What\'s your conditioning program?

how hard do you train for hunting season?

• I could play line backer in the big game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pretty serious, but there is room for improvement

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I stay in shape, watch my diet, but stray once in a while

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I\'m a couch potato

• Call my next of kin

• Total voters

americanbwana

Sep 3, 2017
I fall into the middle category, walking 4 miles 4-5 times a week and track diet using myfitness pal.

I have a weight loss goal to reach by the 4th of July.

It\'s a progressive goal to get where I want, but it\'s a bit crazy :upthumb:

I am shooting for \"freak status\" by mid summer. I am shooting for 185-190lbs and 10% body fat.
I\'d like to be running anywhere from 3-5 miles without breaking a sweat and physically capable of doing anything that I realistically need to.

Middle selection for me

I have learned that there is is no way to be in \'line backer\' shape for elk hunting.
Only a week or two of actual elk hunting will do that!

I get into shape so I wont hurt myself, either before the hunt or during the hunt.

Most of ya know that I fit in the \"call ya next of kin\" catagory if I ever go elk huntin\' again.... :downthumb: :downthumb:

I did manage to do a bit of duck huntin\' this fall but the walk in and out consisted of no more than .30 of a mile and that is great for me in the flooded timber... :upthumb: :upthumb: And the walk consiste of me and my walkin\' stick, my rescue inhaler along with at least 1 of the guys walkin\' with me and us bein\' the last in and last out by quite a bit... But that was good for me.... :clap: :clap: Some of the other guys hauled in my gear and shotgun... :sick: :sick:

I just hope next year we got more water so we don\'t have to walk very much and I\'ll feel a lot better than I do now... 2 more day of this season.... I may just make one of um... :cry: :cry:

My wife told me I\'m to ol\' and handicapped to do much more.... :eek: :eek: I agreed with her... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now if it wasn\'t for all the medical stuff I have to deal with I\'d be in the middle with the rest of ya and still elk huntin\'... :mrgreen: :upthumb: :mrgreen: :upthumb:

What\'s my conditioning program?

Well, it\'s going to have to get a whole lot seriouser. If that\'s a word.

For the last few years, I\'ve been a P90x guy ... over 2014, I did P90x3 4-5 days per week. And I learned a few things:

1. I can do it
2. It works
3. I can eat and drink right past any kind of exercise

Which tells me what I need to do, I guess.

Seriously ... the P90x-series is good ... I think it provides a good, well-balanced, scalable program. Perfect? No. But it wakes me up for work in the morning, improves my mood, and resists my positive calorie balance better than most things.

I\'ve gotten lazy because of my knee, and saying to myself i\'m retired from hunting. I\'ve been taking the pooch for short hikes, and that\'s about it.

I just bought another muzzleloader, so I guess i\'m not retired from hunting anymore. I have a deer point, so my plans are to just hunt for mule deer. However, I have gotten an elk tag since 1956. It\'s going to be pretty hard to just put in for a deer tag, and not an elk tag too. We\'ll see how that goes.

So, i\'ll start to increase my hikes with the pooch, watch my diet better, and start to work my upper body some. At my age i\'m just looking for a little muscle tone, and no injuries. Better for me to take a lot of light trips getting the meat out than all at once like I did when I was younger. I should put a pack on my dog. He can probably carry as much meat as I can now. :lol:

Well, I clicked the middle button, but I definitely don\'t walk 4-5 miles 4 days a week, so maybe I was wrong :lol: I guess I am in between that and a couch potato. I don\'t physically workout much at all anymore, but I do stay pretty active and have been the exact same weight for 3+ years now. Truthfully, the only reason I would start a workout program again would be because of elk hunting, but by doing what I am doing now, I don\'t feel hindered at all. I am able to get wherever I want to when hunting and feel fine doing it, so I guess I just don\'t feel the need. Maybe as I get older, that will change and I will start working out again, but for now it is status quo.

Just ate a nice balanced meal of venison (one of my low fat mixtures), broccoli, and homemade sweet potato fries.

YUM

I try to get between 25 and 30 miles a week on the elliptical with resistance set to at least 10 on a hill program. Some kind of hike with my pack (recently reduced weight to 66lbs) at least every two weeks. Lift a couple times per week. My diet is decent during the week but the weekends not so much. I\'ll get a little more serious once spring hits and the days get longer. As for cutting weight, it\'s a little early for me to cut weight now, I\'m afraid I would have time to gain it back before September. I\'ll start this spring, I find it easier to eat healthier when there\'s an abudance of fresh vegetables available.

i fall in between 2 and 3 (for me!)

i trail run 3 miles pretty much 5 days a week. i am kinda slow. takes me 35 minutes. trust me, girls with those tight LULU-LEMON pants run past me like i am on a death march sometimes. if my knees get sore, i break out a mountain bike and lap those same ladies.:) or i hit the road bike and see nothing but men in tights. believe me, what has been seen, cannot be unseen.

i eat plain oatmeal every work day, and a green salad every work lunch.

you know what? it is working. i\'ve lost some weight. i look skinnier for sure. but..i just got back from AZ hunting. i was a new man. this was by far the best time i had physically. my legs got me up EVERY mountain, and my lungs never wheezed. i carried the long range optics so my pack was the heavy one.

i have to keep it up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back