What?s your opinion on base layers?

Kdkehoe

Aug 9, 2017
Just a general census here. What does everyone prefer for Archery elk season with say a temp difference 30-75?  Merino? Synthetic?  What brands stand out or work best for you?

Myself I like merino.  I got a set of the cheapie Costco paradox merino lightweight base layers for bottom and they perform awesome.  Don?t need to shed them in higher temps. Wicks moisture and doesn?t smell after days of use.  They are super light so if it gets below 25 I just pack an extra pair and double up.

For upper I do like the Kuiu merino 145. In the early hours or at night I?ll toss on a hoodie for extra warmth or just a soft shell and I?m good to go. I sweat no matter the shape I?m in and haven?t had any stank issues or moisture wicking issues.

What all do you guys rock?

Right now I've got some merino that I got on sale while gander mountain was going out of business. Both tops and bottoms for CHEAP!
It works really well  :upthumb:

All of my base layer stuff is First Lite and I couldn't be happier with it. Merino is definitely the way to go. It dry's extremely fast and keeps you warm. I don't think I would ever stray from it.

I still haven't gotten on the merino band wagon yet, mainly because I change my base layers daily so I'm not as worried about the stink. I use Under Armour cold gear and it works so well I've never had a reason to consider trying something else. Wicks the moisture away really well, drys fast, and keeps me plenty warm when I use it. Maybe someday I'll give the merino gear a try, but I just haven't seen the need to as of yet.

Merino all the way for me. If i use UA synthetic stuff I'll be stinking by the afternoon. With Merino I can wear a layer 2-3 days without any smell.

I don't do 5-10 day back pack hunts so I have multiple ss/ls shirts that are synthetic instead of merino cause I don't carry them in.  I also like how quickly synthetic dries when I'm no longer exerting mysel.  Merino is great for smell but I always preferred synthetic for fall and especially winter hunts.  Maybe merino is better but I've never had my system let me down so I'm not gonna mess with it

406unltd said:
I don't do 5-10 day back pack hunts so I have multiple ss/ls shirts that are synthetic instead of merino cause I don't carry them in.  I also like how quickly synthetic dries when I'm no longer exerting mysel.  Merino is great for smell but I always preferred synthetic for fall and especially winter hunts.  Maybe merino is better but I've never had my system let me down so I'm not gonna mess with it

My synthetic layers do dry super fast. I will rock those for 1-2 days but then it gets a funk.  Bivy camps and backcountry bivy hunts I?ll usually always wear merino just because it doesn?t saturate as much as my synthetic layers as no matter what shape I?m in sweat like a pig.  It?s stupid and I hate it but instead of fight it I just combat it anyway I can.  That being said whatever works for any particular person, more power to them. I know a guy who wears a down coat hiking up the mountain in 70 degree heat.  The dude just doesnt perspire. 

merino.

but i do have plenty of synthetics.  they are awesome as well.  i reserve them for my truck camp hunts..where i can change..they do reek.

I've used Under Armour gear in the past and was happy with it because it was the best I'd used up to that point. Last year I upgraded to all First Lite merino clothing and it was awesome from 20-something degrees at night, to 75 degrees by day, with plenty of snow and rain storms in the mix. The merino kept me warm when it was cold, cool when it was hot, dry when it was wet. Couldn't be happier with the switch.

I use or used both Smartwool and UA base layer... Both worked fine for me but I liked the Smartwool best because of the fit and comfortable feel I get from them all day long... UA base layer to me get uncomfortable if I wear them for extended periods of time.. But for just a morning hunt or afternoon hunt they are fine... I now normally take off all my hunting clothes including base layer when I get back to camp and wear an old pair of warm ups while at camp... All my hunting is stationary now so it doesn't make much difference... If it's windy and below 30 degrees I'll wear both with the wool next to my skin.. UA seems to cut the wind a bit better that the Smartwool..

I run a UA base layer t-shirt when it's hot, but I go up a size. I run hot and like synthetic for the heat. If it's getting cooler, I rock merino and end up spending most of my time in merino.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Late Sept is a crapshoot, the weather, at least in CO, can be 20-80* in the span of 2 days. I typically use a 150base layer, and then have a 230, and 320 for layering.

I typically run hot and the 150, it may be a 190 I can't remember, is a really nice layer for me. I can roll up the sleeves and it breathes very well.

I used Kuiu?s merino base layer for the first time last year and loved it. I?ve noticed synthetic dry-fit type materials make me sweat more and start to smell whereas the merino seems to repell stank. Just tried the UA threadborne for turkey season and liked that too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back