what scope for shooting to 500 yds

Elk2

Jan 3, 2013
I use a Leupold 3x9 scope which has worked very well for me, but this year i had opportunities for shots at longer distances (over 500 yds).  I feel comfortable shooting longer distances, but with my setup I dont feel its ethical to try on elk.  Does anybody have an idea of a good longer range scope under $700?

I use a Leupold 3x9 too, but am looking at upgrading to a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.  Found a few on ebay for about $800.  Have a friend that is a rep for them and said I could get one from him for $650.

What are the reticles like?  I guess I should find them on the net and see.

i currently have a nikon monarch 4-16x50 and have shot out to 500. crystal clear great definition and only $400.will probly look at vortex if i ever replace it. there's also night force, schmidt&bender, us optics but they are pricey 

im using a Vortex Viper 4-12X40 PA [/color]with THE DEAD HOLD bdc. the reticle is very thin. i just shot a coues deer at 401 yards and it worked out great. worth looking at. on a side note, there is a app that you can enter your ballistic info (indepth) and it will tell you what each dot represents. this app works for most major brand scopes. it is called strelok

I've been looking at the Vortex viper 4-12x40. They are nice. Gotta save my pennies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back