what taste better?

what taste better?

• Total voters

rkkmeyers

Jan 1, 2013
I know there are a lot of factors that can change the quality of taste, but what do you think taste better?

My 7x6 Roosie was the best eating elk I have had so far until this year. I had to kill a young 1 1/2 year old cow .... its dang good too. I think the worst tasting elk I have killed was actually a cow , she was an old lead cow but still tasted good, just a little strong. My 370 bull was great also , just a bit tough. I guess it just matters on whatthey are eating???? I do not know. I do know you cant beat a young one though LOL

I can't say that I have noticed a difference.  But then again when you kill it yourself it always tastes better:)

The younger they are the more tender/better tasting they are in my opinion. I haven't really tasted a difference between bull/cow though. Mmmmm!

To me I really haven't noticed a huge difference, but I also haven't shot a really old bull yet. So as of right now I take whatever walks infront of me.

My oldest elk was a cow (very few teeth left) and she was the toughest.  Didn't much matter what it tasted like as you chewed forever!  Taste, in my experience, is very dependent upon how well you take care of the meat, cooling it quickly and aging it appropriately (that varies too by people).  I haven't yet gotten one that fed on the farmer's alfalfa all summer, so not sure that what they have eaten contributes to the ultimate taste.

I  can't tell a difference an far as taste,but my spikey's have been mighty tender .. :p

Can't say I have ever been able to tell the difference.....it might be because my wife is such a good cook though!

I've had one of each of my own plus some parts from other guys that I have gone with and they have all tasted great. One bull was maybe a little tougher.

Yummm  :p  They are all good but older bulls tend to be tougher. That's why they make crockpots !

I've had older bulls as well as younger as well as cows and also agree with many others that the biggest factor is meat care after the shot.  Cooling as soon as possible is probably the most important factor. I also have gone to butchering most of my animal as you can remove all the non-muscle parts which I think also help make it less tough or chewy!  Aging also helps make it more tender but you either need a late season animal that you can hang in the open or a spare refrig.  I plan to get a spare fridge just for meat aging as you can usually pick them up for free or very little when people are upgrading.

Before tasting elk for the first time this year, several people told me elk was closer to beef than venison. My experience with the cow I shot was it was a little gamier than venison. My elk was good, just different. There is nothing better than meat you shot.

Jimbow - Not to disagree with your opinion but I've never heard that before.  I think basically since elk are grazers and deer are browsers, this controls a lot of what "optimim" meat will taste like for both animals.  Although farm country deer that feed a lot on grain tastes better than a mountain muley in my opinion.  My family refuses to eat deer but do hesitate when we are having elk.  I actually think it's a bit more mental with the deer due to the Bambi syndrome!  I have tried to sneak in some deer occasionally as sometimes they ask about it an other times they don't say anything.  I usually can tell the difference unless it's heavily mixed with other things like in chili.

I have never shot a cow yet so can't answer that one but this years bull has been the best tasting elk I have ever had...Yummmm!

COLOelkman, the deer I prefer are whitetails and are farm fed, mostly soybeans and corn. The area I hunt deer is a perfect mix of agricultural crops, mixed hardwood woodlots, and old overgrown farmland (reverting back to nature)
I have also shot deer in the northern Allegheny national forest and the do have the more gamy taste. My wife and three kids love venison, but my wife can tell the difference in the elk.

I would say a cow taste better than a rutted up old bull, but guess it is all how you take care of the meat.

+1 on just taking care of the meat, it is the biggest factor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back