What temp do you worry about meat?

rershooter

Mar 27, 2018
  So you got an elk down, quartered and hanging in bags, in the shade. At what temperature would you start to worry about the meat?

Wild game will hold up better than most think if you get the heat out of the animal ASAP. Do as you say, Knock it down and get it in bags and airing out. The air will create a crust on the animal at any temp. with that said If you are in higher heat situations you don't have a lot of time. I packed an elk out of the Wilderness in CO a few years ago in 3 trips, 5 miles in 2 days. 80 degrees midday temp. got each load on ice when I came out. Meat held up great.

I don't know that there's a certain temperature where I would worry versus not worry about the meat. A lot would depend on the circumstances. The meat is hanging in the shade, but where at? How long will it take me to get the meat out?

In most areas I hunt, I will have the meat out pretty quick, especially with most of my hunts including other hunters in camp who can help pack the meat. Because of that, I don't worry much, I just do my best to get it out quick and get it on ice. I don't ever find myself solo and five miles deep, but if I did then I would certainly consider other methods to make sure the meat does not spoil if I don't think it's cool enough in the shade.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back