What time are elk hitting Wallows?

ElkManDan

Dec 29, 2012
For those of you that put trail cams over Wallows, what time does it seem like elk are most likely to take a roll in the mud??? 

I think it really depends.  I've seen bulls in there at night, first thing in the morning, midday, and anytime in the afternoon. 

The reason I ask is I have a friend that has used cameras a bit over the last couple years and he rarely catches them during daylight hours.  I was just wondering if others had seen the same thing or if it is more random timing. 

I will be utilizing cameras this year to keep an eye on some wallows. 

I have herds mostly morning and evening, lone bulls all day though.  My wallow is miles from any road or trail and tough to get to.  Does your buddies have much pressure?

One of the most productive times we have found is mid-morning.  After the elk hit their beds for a few hours, the herd bull will leave his cows and go wallow and get a drink then go back and bed down.  So we will sit wallows mid-morning when everything is bedded down anyway and is a little slow.  Try it, it works well.

lang said:
I have herds mostly morning and evening, lone bulls all day though.  My wallow is miles from any road or trail and tough to get to.  Does your buddies have much pressure?

Exactly how I killed my last bull in Idaho. That mid morning or mid day time is the perfect time to sit that wallow especially from mid August to end of September.

They most actively wallow b/c they're hot from rutting.  If you see the rut activity climbing, wallows will become more active.

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to set up some cameras in my area this year and spend a little more time on the wallows.  Probably pack in a blind to sit in so that I am not spreading too much scent as the wind tends to swirl a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back