What time of year?

ghost

Dec 28, 2012
Do you guys and gals always hunt the same time of year, say September 15th? Or do you look at weather and moon face before heading out?

In my case I try and plan my hunt around middle to late September but it will also look at weather and moon face.

I just hunt whenver I can. My buddy and I have an annual hunt that is the very first week of archery season. The elk aren't cranked up yet, but they are still making noise and can still be killed.

I am split on this. I have taken about half my archery bulls the first week of season and half the 15-25th. It seems in heavy pressured public land here in Western Wyoming the big bulls I've known of taken are in early season for the most part. Just my experience.

We try to do a 4 day Labor Day weekend hunt (season is typically Aug30-Sept 30) and then come back for full week either 3rd or 4th weekend.  There are pros and cons to early and late and we try to play the odds for both.  Last year, they didn't seem very active in our area on the third week of Sept. so we wonder if we might have been a bit early (or we were in the wrong area).  We are shooting for the last week this coming season.

I try to hunt all season, evenings after work and weekends for sure... I usully take the 3rd week off and hunt..

I will hunt all phases of the season, as some seasons the calling can be best early and other late. No specific reason, nor pattern to the moon phases.
This year in Idaho I was out 9/1 and bulls were screaming and that continued all throughout the season with the height of the rut being what you would
expect the 19-21. 

I wish I could be here in WA the season start date is always changing. Sometimes we start at the beginning of Sept and sometimes as late as the 11th. Not sure which I like better yet.

In between the 3rd and 4th weekend in Sept.  Usually do a Wed/Thursday - Monday stint.  The bulls where we hunt will not be ready until then.  I have seen them go off earlier, but it is weather dependent.  One year I got my bull on the opener (August 21).  He was screamin and had about 30 cows with him. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back