What to do?

Stoneman

Apr 27, 2016
It has been a slow day in early September. You have not heard any bugling or seen any fresh sign to speak of. More like a hike in the woods. You are coming off a saddle and around some trees when this presents itself to you. You have a b list cow tag and a bull tag in your pocket. This cow is about 35 yards away and there is another one bedded to your right about 18 yards. Do you take a chance and draw your bow? If you are successful in drawing, do you shoot the cow?

Attachments

• cow and bull.png
    1 MB · Views: 190
Arrow that fat cow looking at you. Then reload quickly and when the bull stands and looks to se why she ran off stick him too.

We can only hope it works out that way. :)

I would probably wait for the bull then that cow would bolt off and take him too with no shot. That\'s my luck usually. :sick:

I dunno. Thats a tough call.

Im thinking that cow is gonna bolt and that bull is get up and follow her fast.

Sometimes it just dont work out at all

So rather then 35 yards, she was about 60 or so and I was hunting with my recurve. Also, I didn\'t have a cow tag but even if I did I am not sure I could drop the string with that bull sitting, now standing there. Since pictures were all I could take, I will share a few more as this unfolded. Nobody bolted but they did not stick around either. I tried not to move much but by then the gig was up. Not a dead elk but still a nice ending to a long day.

Have to like that look in his eyes...

Attachments

• elk 2 rs ac.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 155
The bull got up and walked off, then turned and came back for another look before leaving. He never really spooked as I had the wind, just not the jump on him.

Attachments

• elk 4 rs ac.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 155
the rest of the herd came out of the trees to my right and followed to the left

Attachments

• elk 7 rs ac.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 154
thats great that you got pictures of the sequence. :)

pictures make an excellent spice for tag soup. I normally eat my tag soup with just water, and its kinda bland!

Nice! And that\'s the solid reason I don\'t hunt with a recurve. Props to those of you that do, but the way I see it , is I don\'t get many elk opportunities and I want to make them count. I am comfortable shooting to 70 at an elk. With a recurve Id b lucky to make 20! lol. I would have waited on the bull and hope a bear didn\'t charge in and spook the herd. (yes, that happened to me in CO in 2013)

KHNC - here is the money shot for you then. Negotiating that branch at +60 yards might be tough.

Attachments

• money shot ac rs.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 106
I see three possible options to get this bull standing and in position for the shot.

First would be a couple of mews from the outer edge of his harem. May not work initially but, it will set up my next call which would be some soft chuckles to imitate another bull trying to pull this distant cow away from the harem.

Nothing works every time! But if all else fails, I\'ll hit him with a nervous bark. That is always an attention getter. Like I said, \" Nothing works every time\"! So if that\'s case, I\'ll just watch them drift off into the timber like they did in your photos. LOL!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back