What to when it's windy

What do to when it's windy as hell

• Stick to the basics do what you always do for success

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Still hunt on trail elk use, (no calls)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Still hunt on trail elk use (soft cow calls, odd bugle)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Put the miles on the boots and try to locate elk?

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Another option, please give me your suggestions

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2016
We got one elk on the ground 1st week we were 1/2. This 2nd week the winds been ridiculous 30+MPh. Called in a few spikers and cows but no shooters. I know there is some elk near by within few miles give or take.  What is the best tactics to use when it's windy as hell in my opinion hard winds take 2 of 3 senses away. Smell and sound. So with vision left do elk Barry them selves in the Bush on windy days to remain concealed?

I'm also interested, as this past weekend was windy as hell in CO Sat night and Sunday Morning. I found some elk and got close, but couldn't get close enough.

I had a lot of wind to deal with this past weekend. When it wasn't windy I could get instant response to my cow calls. When it was windy, I couldn't hear anything but wind and don't know if the animals could hear my calling either.

Personally, I hate being in the wind and I can only guess the animals hate it as well. Of course, they probably still go about their daily business, but I would imagine they hunker down a bit more than normal when the heavy winds kick in.

I can't say it's the answer, but finding one of those deep thick canyons that have little secluded holes that might offer some relief from the wind.  Just thinking about it a couple areas I've been to come to mind that have to offer some protection with a steep canyon on three sides. 

No where near an expert here especially when it comes to the bow hunting/rut hunting end of things as I am very new to those areas of hunting and learning that as I go but I have had fairly good success hunting leeward areas of ridges (not draws but benches or bowl like depressions), or thickets of lodge pole pine (usually jack-strawed which is risky with potential for trees falling) during heavy wind conditions

yeah its tough up here in alberta. don't have a lot of elevation to work with. just bush and open fields. when its windy I still have not a clue on what the best thing to do is. and by the poll its a toss up between. sticking to the basics which in all honesty is pounding the miles if you follow coreys site. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hard to say but I have seen elk feed and bed on the middle of an open face while its hallowing out. I didn't understand it because I assumed they wanted to be protected but it didn't seem to bother them at all. I wondered if it was their way of being able to use their other sense of site for when its windy in pressured public land areas. I was deer hunting at the time but the wind does not bother elk.

To add, I have seen elk in a similar situation in November while elk hunting. It was dumping snow and blowing onto the south facing slopes. I hopped over to the north facing side, away from the wind and out of the snow, assuming the elk would be there (protected from the harsh condition and tucked in the trees. That was not the case, out of a last resort (desperation) before I left the mountain, I checked for elk on the wind-blown, snow-covered, sagebrush hillside. Surprisingly enough, out of the corner of my glass, there was cow and her calf bedded on the hillside with an inch of snow on them both (head to toe). I saw a flicker of the calf's ear in which caught my eye, I couldn't believe on how content and well blended they were at 350 yards below me. I went around playing the wind in my favor to get a better loo in the draw they were above. I was battling daylight, nasty wind, and snow but I was able to get in close. Out came two bulls feeding in the open below me, with zero acknowledgment of the wind or me. I dropped a 5x5 just before dark on a very windy hillside.   

my time is late august-September I don't hunt much elk after that because there is so many rifle hunters. kinda interesting though what ive learned about the wind, most common west blowing, animals will move and feed along the side of east face tree lines and when wind is hollowing from the east ive proven that animals will feed and bed along west facing tree lines. I can see right out of my kitchen window and on windy east blowing days Is the only time I see only on this one west tree line its actually quite amazing. thanks for replying the wind still stumps me... hmmmmmm =D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back