What you doing?

Bails-UK

Jun 20, 2013
So Guys, I live in the UK and each September I travel over to hunt OTC Elk in Colorado with my American friends, but in the 11 months and 2 weeks that I'm stuck over here, I sit watching Elk hunting DVD's, practicing with my set-up, pondering over Google Earth and my Maps and talking to my friends about the season to come.
How do you spend your time when season is only 4months away, are you preparing, getting excited. How would you handle only hunting for 9days of a year in a country where Bowhunting is not legal :(?...... Its frustrating believe me.

i spend my time not living in a elk state looking at maps hiking trails full pack biking shooting my bow reading everything i can about hunting and fishing. and when im free i hunt and fish local small game and medium size game like white tail deer.

I'm not sure how i'd answer it if I didn't live where I hunt elk. I guess i'd be training hard, and trying to stay focused on the future hunt by looking at maps, and hanging out on forums.

As it is. All year I hike the same mountains that I hunt.

I'd move...  ;D

I couldn't imagine not being able to hunt where I live. We are truly blessed, for sure.

Corey,
      If I could find the work and did not have to leave my family behind, I'd be there Fella. I love coming to America to hunt Elk, even though I still haven't got brown down, each hunt and experience has been amazing. Yeah it sucks that we cannot bowhunt over here yet, but the friends I have made and camps we share are some of the best times of my life. I'm sure you will agree, Elk camp is a special place where friends and memories are made.
This will be my fourth trip and hopefully will be my best chance to tag out, I've watched the University of Elk DVD weekly since last years trip to Co, GMU6 , I still pick up something different each time. You can never have enough knowledge of Elk :)

OldMan, you are a lucky Guy ;)

yes sadly we cannot all live in elk country and in the US for some lol. I am glad you get the opportunity to come hunt here. Hunting camps in general are a sacred thing from family generations that hunt together, to the two man bivys.  those times can never be replaced. 

In Oregon we spend our time hunting... Spring bear, turkey, sheds and wild mushrooms. All the while keeping track of the elk we see throughout the time. Time is also spent on the phone asking our hunting partner what he has seen on our trail cameras since he lives close by and can check them on a regular basis.

I would have to agree that living with no elk for 356 days a year would stink, so treasure your time in the elk woods.

Guys, I am so jealous, but yes I am also fortunate to have a very understanding Lady at home, who would never deny me the chance of Hunting with my friends in America. It may only be once a year, but to me its the stuff dreams are made of and I cannot think of anywhere else I'd rather hunt. We are working hard over here to get Bowhunting legalised, we have the backing of the biggest Shooting and Conservation Association in the Country(BASC) ...... with time , money, the drive of our British Bowhunter Committee and the backing of BASC, we may hopefully see our dream come true.
Until then , I get to hunt Elk in Colorado :) and will still hunt in America even if we do change things over here.

With only 3 months until the opener here in Utah, I'm at the gym 3-4 days a week (that's year round but I get more intense these days), running 3-4 days a week, shooting my bow almost daily or as much as I can, tweaking gear, looking to test gear that I'm trading/buying, checking out Google Earth for new spots to explore, getting ready to put out some cameras (as if I needed an excuse to get into the mountains often but it sure helps motivate after a long day of work), etc. 

Elk is on the brain more now than ever and even though we've got a lot of family fun planned this summer I'll be thinking about and preparing for the hunt daily from here until Aug 16.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back