What's everyone doing to stay in shape these last few weeks before archery elk?

I really put in the effort this year.  Down 35 lbs from cardio and eating right.  Started X-Fit for the very first time about 3-4 months ago and I have really seen a big difference in my strength.  Still running 2-3 days a week.  I leave for WY in two weeks, so will begin tapering off after next week.  Staying light on the lifts.  Been thinking about doing a yoga class at the Y too.  Never done one but worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

In previous few years I started working out in Spring, but this time I started working out for this season right after the end of last season.
Workout 5-6 days a week for the most part.
Work outs have varied....Cardio is always knee friendly.
My single and only focus for going to the gym is Archery Elk hunting.

I feel the better shape I am in, the more I will be able to persevere.

sltram said:
In previous few years I started working out in Spring, but this time I started working out for this season right after the end of last season.
Workout 5-6 days a week for the most part.
Work outs have varied....Cardio is always knee friendly.

Same here.  Got a 10 day hunt coming in 2 weeks.  I know its going to be tough, but after putting all this work into it i dont want to miss a single minute.  I know that will motivate me every time I feel tired and cold and just want to hit the snooze button and roll over. 

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

sltram said:

I do the same thing...sure makes working out a heck of a lot easier!

About 2yrs ago I started a program call MaxWorkouts. It's a combination of HIIT and cardio using weights, body weight and sprinting.
What I like most about it is the length of the workout, 20 to 30 mins max. If done correctly after 30mins you're cooked anyway. I try to workout 6 days a week year round. I'm 62yrs, 6'3" and was 245 plus, now down to just over 200lbs. I now just bury the young guys on the mountain!

Put on a pack, put some rocks in it and climb the same route 2-3 times per week. I try to stay around 1500 vert climb.  Time yourself each time and always beat your last time.  I dump the rocks out at the top. 

Taekwondo workouts are my regular tear down push. Now I am doing extra push-ups and short runs. Just adding in a 1.5 mile run is getting me that extra edge to hike hard. Still do regular long hikes as well.

Bull_fighter, This looks like a good idea, I think I'll give the youtube video a try. Foam rolling is great, I found that if I use several different sizes of foam rollers, I get more out of my foam roller sessions.
Bull_Fighter said:
Ohboytimmy said:
-Before bed I will do a 12 min Yoga infused stretch routine. I actually perform this youtube video https://youtu.be/fxsQr7YOq7o After that I will foam roll my back and legs. This is probably the most important this to do for recovering on how hard I push myself.

Thanks for the Yoga tip. I'm going to try this video. Been wanting to do a bit more stretching and never really tried Yoga.

Since Afghanistan, my health has gone down hill. I exercise using the TRX suspension trainer, and I ride a recumbent trike off road. I also try to get some road miles in doing sprints and hills. https://adaptivetrails.com/

patch1010 said:
Since Afghanistan, my health has gone down hill. I exercise using the TRX suspension trainer, and I ride a recumbent trike off road. I also try to get some road miles in doing sprints and hills. https://adaptivetrails.com/

Good tip on the foam rolling. My son uses one for his HS cross country and track training. I should be taking lessons from him! Maybe I'll borrow his and see how I feel after.

How do you like the TRX suspension? I've seen this at my gym but never used it.

Also, thank you for your service in Afghanistan!

Bull_Fighter said:
I've been in the gym since December, 3 days a week, and running 2-4 miles at least 2 days per week. I've lost about 25lbs. I've been working my legs more than I ever have. Yesterday was a leg day and I skipped the gym in favor of the Boise foothills. The steep climbing set my legs on fire like the gym is unable to do. Anyone else hitting the hills hard to get the legs and lungs in shape? Every minute of that workout sucked, but I'm thinking it must be my best bet to get in shape these last few weeks.

What's your favorite hills/mountains/in-the-field workout technique?

Today will probably be my final workout before I leave for my NM trip.
I'll probably just take a nice, low weighted, and long walk/hike.  There is a military base near by with about 500K acres of range that we can hike. I'll probably do it out there.
I'm just so ready to be in the woods with a bow in my hand!

Every time im out i throw my pack on my back and have some weight in it or i throw my 30lb daughter in the kid pack and that helps to simulate what i carry when i hunt so that when hunting season hits im used to my pack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back