whats everyone doing?

enigmatic said:
12 oz. curls...after that becomes insufficient, I may jump to 24oz and possibly 40oz.  :eek:

As it is New Year's Eve, I am up to the Magnum presses right about now :eek:  after completing those 12 oz curls :-\

Hiking the hills , thats about it. Dont want to pay for a gym membership, but I do have my weights I use in the garage!!

I just started doing Crossfit and let me tell you if you want to get into elk shape this is it. Last year i worked out like crazy trying to get into shape for my Idaho elk hunt. I did Insanity, weights, running, walking w/weighted backpack. I was in pretty good shape for the hunt but learned I need to be in even better shape than that. So I tried crossfit and I really think this is the best all around training you could do other  than being out there chasing elk.yf

Started my routine again today. Hope I can stick with it a little better this year. I can use the extra effort so I can get to that monster Muley in Wyoming. Free weight routine I started in a weight training class last year and then I hit the treadmill for 40 mins with a mix of fast speeds and steep inclines. Had plenty of time today watching all these bowl games. The trick will be making time every day.

Started going through my elk gear today.  Will load the MR CC with about 30lbs and start using the stairmaster and the elliptical......along with running without the pack 20-25 miles per week.  This year I am going to add more strength training and see how well I perform come September.  Ohio deer season is still going, so, I won't start hitting it hard til the end of this month.

Good luck all!

Roger Burton, SMSgt, USAF
179th AW Fire Chief

Cross fit 3 days a week, hike or run with the dogs on off days, and speed lift to mix it up.

Would love to try crossfit sometime. Maybe as soon as I can justify paying to go to the gym over at home workouts. I have all of the weights and stuff so the wife probably wouldn't like me paying money to go workout.

I do dumbbell and isometric body weight stuff at home and I also hike around with my MR CC loaded with about 40 lbs or so.  looking into crossfit but I don't know if I want to pay for a gym membership

going to start cross fit in the morning. I'm 55 and if any of you have any advice for us older people I'd greatly appreciate it.

tkruk said:
going to start cross fit in the morning. I'm 55 and if any of you have any advice for us older people I'd greatly appreciate it.

be careful.  crossfit is so intense that some people just don't know when to quit.  excessive muscle breakdown can release myoglobin into the bloodstream which can cause kidney failure.  the condition is called rhabdomyolysis.

check out this article on it  http://www.livestrong.com/article/545200-the-fall-of-fitness/

tkruk said:

Please, please, please take it easy for a while. And I mean a while as in weeks, maybe months if needed. Learn to lift correctly to avoid injury. It will be hard to see guys next to you lifting a lot of weight, maybe even your senior and not  get caught in it and overdue it. CrossFit is about competing with yourself, your own time. Not someone else's. Bring a notebook with you every day and keep records of your time for each particular exercise. What good is it going to do anyone after you paid all that money and now you are hurt. CrossFit has a high injury rate due to people not lifting correctly. As you increase weight your form will suffer and could lead to injury.

Take it easy, learn to lift properly, increase weight in very small amounts and keep the correct form while lifting. If you do this CrossFit will get you in the best shape you've EVER been in your life.

I'm 51 and in terrible shape. 7 years ago I was hunting Big Horn sheep and in great shape at 217#. Today I tip the scales North of 250. I plan to begin with a low carb diet to shed pounds quick as it has worked well for me in the past. I will also begin brisk walks on the tread mill, increasing speed and distance slowly. Hopefully when Winter lossens it's grip on Western Wyoming I will be ready to hit the hills for some serious shed hunting. I know I need to develope a life style that keeps me in hunting shape year round. But, I just love fried foods and a good bourbon :D

I usually do push up and sit ups to strengthen the upper body. I like to run or at least walk as much as possible. Today I just decided to try something to see if I could strengthen my legs while at work. I usually sit all day long and I don't think that is the best for you. So I raised my desk and computer up about 1-2 feet so that I can stand during the day. I figured this would work my back and legs if I stand for most of an 8 hour day vs sitting for most of 8 hours. So far it has been half a day and I can feel my legs are getting a lot more workout haha. Sad I know, but anything to help with the pack out of an elk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back