What's more important to you?

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
If you had one option for the rest of your elk hunting career which would it be?

In the perfect world where you could get away with this, which would you prefer.....
A) Scout a unit a couple times (2-4x) before a hunt and hunt for 7 days
B) Not be able to scout a unit at all prior to the hunt, but get 15 days to hunt.

I'd definitely say the 15 days during the season would provide a better opportunity for success. But 15 straight days of hunting just sounds like a lot to me! I normally go at it pretty hard for the 5-7 days I get to hunt, but I suppose if you space it out over 15 days you can give yourself a few easy days in there to give your body a break. I'd go with that option and take my chances.

This one is tough for me because the idea of 15 days in the field means I can be flexibility and use time to get onto elk.

However I think my go to answer would always be option A.
The reason why is the scouting would give me locations A-Z to hunt, I'd have area familiarization and terrain already down, and I would have a general idea of the local herd/elk quality.

If I get 15 days can I get a 2nd cow tag? There is nothing more valuable than knowing the area you hunt. Elk may move around in an area but, if they are there they are there. Pressure is the variable not food, water, and safety of the edge.

For the rest of my elk hunting career, you say? I'd take the 15 days! First year is a burner. Sure it might be my first time in the area, but I'd have 15 days to get to know it. That's not bad IMO. By the next year I know it as well as any place I've hunted and can hunt hard all 15 days if I felt like it.

That's a tough one.

A allows you to eliminate so much country even if it's nothing but spending 2 days driving every road in the unit. Things look a certain way on google earth but once you get there it's completely different. There's a definite advantage to A.

B for a flat lander gives you 7 days to hunt while you scout and acclimate so you can really get after it the following 8. For someone just learning 15 days may mean the difference between 1 opportunity and 3. There's a lot to be gained with 15 consecutive days in the woods. It also increases the odds you get a good patch of weather in there.

I'd go with A at this point for me. It's more about eliminating ground than finding the right spot.

2-4 days to scout and 7 to hunt??? That's 9-11 days total. I'll take the 15 day hunt over that anytime.

Besides, usually where you find the elk this year, they will either be in the same general area or close by in years to come. I haven't scouted in years. I know my area good enough that scouting isn't necessary.

My answer of 'A' was intended for a new unit, maybe one that I drew and wont go back for a few years.

If the question is for typical OTC, Id go 'B' all day long

Option A is a must for me. Nothing I hate more then to get somewhere blind and either underestimate or not know the terrain. Also being able to scout gives you the ability to remain flexible by having an idea of what?s on the other side, where to move when things change.  15 days straight sounds fun but knowing the layout is worth having less days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since going to Colorado to hunt I have not had the privilege of scouting before the hunt begins. Next years hunt will be guided by my hunting and scouting this year. We have always hunted 2 weeks due to the distance to get there.
Another consideration is scouting before season means you are not able to take an animal if you are able to. I would rather be in season, hunting and scouting, so I guess "B" for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back