What's the best area you have found on Google Earth?

ribo451

Jun 4, 2013
Wondering how many people scout on Google Earth and what kind of areas you have found.

Did they look as good in person when you hiked in there?

Here are a few of the areas I have found.

Attachments

• Google Earth 1.PNG
    702.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_6626.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_6628.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 6
I didn't hang a trail cam on that first one because there was a stand there when I hiked into it.

Here is another area I found and a few trail camera pics from it.

Attachments

• Google Earth 2.PNG
    760.3 KB · Views: 6
  • EK000055.JPG
    859.1 KB · Views: 7
These two are from a trail leading to that last area.

Attachments

• PICT0054.JPG
    843.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PICT0062.JPG
    844 KB · Views: 6
Here is another area I hiked through during a rainstorm so I didn't spend much time there to look around and didn't take any photos of the area but I hope to make it there for a more thorough scouting this year.

Attachments

• Google Earth 3.PNG
    774.2 KB · Views: 6
Here is an area I haven't been to yet. It looks like there must be something there judging by the trails. I am guessing it is a wallow or watering area based on the topo pic of the same spot.

Attachments

• Google Earth 4.PNG
    567.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Google Earth 4 topo.PNG
    73.4 KB · Views: 181
I have stood at the top of the mountain above this area and listened to elk bugling down here but the area is surrounded by thick brush. I am hoping to find a way in here and follow this trail.

Someday.

Attachments

• Google Earth 5.PNG
    810.1 KB · Views: 5
Cool pictures. Must be Colorado? So lush and green the elk might as well be living in a bowl of salad!

This is all in Idaho.

If you change the time in google earth there is a set of pictures from September and the ground looks a lot less green.

These are all from July.

Awesome pics. I love looking over google earth in the off season. Here's a pic of where i hunt in CO. I didn't find it with google earth but was amazed to see how good the trails show up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-11-03-24-35-480x854.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 7
My wife downloaded windows 10 onto our computer. Now when I pull up Google Earth all of my waypoints are gone. 4 years of online scouting and pfffft. There it goes. Thanks, windows 10.

I can remember a lot of them but there are several that I have been planning to hike into and I am having a hard time remembering them. SUPER PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We use some program that we download our waypoints to and it saves them on a separate file that we can look at with topo maps and aerial photos. I can't remember if it's delorme mapper or something called basecamp. We use both and they are on my parents computer. It's pretty handy. Especially if I go somewhere and want to send the waypoints I make to one of there gps's. It's a lot faster than sending them individually.

To save way points on your computer and not lose everything google maps works great. You sign into google. Go to google maps. Click on My Maps and make your own map marking trails or roads or water holes. Its great. You can bring up the map on any computer with your sign in.

I was doing some scouting on google earth today and found elk. I was pretty excited. We hunted the other side of the ridge last year and had a lot of elk around. And we thought we would try the side I found these elk because it seemed all the elk were either going to or coming from where I found these. Looks like I should be cooking in Crisco this year

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 10
I'm not sure of the year. But it has snow cover and is pretty green, so I would guess in July or so. We have a cabin around that area and almost every year we go sledding in July up on the top of the mountains.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back