What's your experience with campfire smoke and the affect on elk

usmcvet

Jul 8, 2013
I figured the campfire section would be the appropriate place to post this question?  What's your thoughts about the affects of smoke from camp fires on elk whether right off the National Forest road or miles into the back country.  Interested to hear your experiences or thoughts.

In my experience, it doesn't seem to have an affect on the Elk to much. We've had elk walk between our tent and the fire 10 feet away in the middle of the night. I'm sure you would be better off without one. But it is part of the enjoyment of the experience for us. We also camp on the edge of the area we hunt. Happy hunting!!!

There is a couple of other post on here that asked the same but here is my take.I love camp fire smoke as a cover scent it is the best there is.It is a smell that every elk has smelled and they have no reason to be afraid of. Between camp fires and forest fires they spend allot of time smelling smoke yet very few elk have ever seen fire, so to them its just another scent of their environment.

In my experience I have never had issues with building a fire in Elk country. I have always found Eli near camp. However, with the extreme fire bans in Colorado, I don't foresee me enjoying the campfire this year.  :(

One of my Denver friends said the Forest Service is lifting some of the fire bands. I am guessing along the I -70 areas. Just hoping it is not dry and HOT this season.

nclonghunter said:
One of my Denver friends said the Forest Service is lifting some of the fire bands. I am guessing along the I -70 areas.Just hoping it is not dry and HOT this season.

I just got word today that the fire bans in my area are cancelled due to the moisture we've been receiving. Hells yes :D

My partner and I hunt out of a spike camp. By the time we return to camp and eat there's no time for a fire. However, on point I also believe that smoke has little or no effect on the elk.

In spring we've had a herd of cows come through camp and eat ashes.  Not sure what they were after, but convinced me they dont mind fires.  Lots of logging where I hunt and slash piles always have an abundance of tracks around it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back