whats yourFavorite Cow call?

bigbuckhunter

Dec 31, 2012
Whats your go to Cow call?

Mine has got to be my Green Wayne Carlton reed call.

I take off the rubber band and am able to get many different pitches out of it!

Great call.

Wayne Carlton brown triple reeds.  I haven't figured out yet how to run a hand call or bite and blow when my hoyts in one hand and my realease is stuck to my string and I've got stop the bull to whack him.those triples can make every elk sound!  I've called in 100's with those things.  Found a hoochie mama in the woods last year and its propably still Latin there.

huntelk1 said:
Wayne Carlton brown triple reeds.  I haven't figured out yet how to run a hand call or bite and blow when my hoyts in one hand and my realease is stuck to my string and I've got stop the bull to whack him.those triples can make every elk sound!  I've called in 100's with those things.  Found a hoochie mama in the woods last year and its propably still Latin there.

That makes a lot of sense. How hard is it to get used to reeds? I like the idea of being able to call while I'm moving or aiming my muzzleloader. Plus that's one less thing hanging from around my neck.

Hands down my favorite is;

D1 - "Estrus Excited" Steve Chappell Signature Series

This diaphragm call lets you make those very quite calls that you only hear when in amongst and elk herd at very close distance.

ghost said:
"All-star" from the Elk 101 store.

The "All Star" call makes the best locator bugle for me but I cannot make a cow call worth a darn from it.  I go with JJ that the "Estrus Excited" by Steve Chappel is my favorite cow call, with the Mellow Yellow from Bugling Bulls a close second.

Primos "I Maka Da Bulls Crazy"-in fact, I lost mine somewhere in Idaho, so if anybody finds one-it's probably mine!

primos "i maka da bulls crazy"    and their diaphram mouth calls........ whant to try elk101 allstar

The temptress is the most realistic open read call that I have used, but the all star diaphram has certainly played a huge role in notching a tag the last few years.

I use a wide range of calls.  This past year I had the best results with primos "i maka da bulls crazy".  I use the hoochie mama and reeds all the time.  I usually keep a full set of calls in my pack that are different from the ones I use on a normal day.  If I get winded or busted, I will switch calls before returning to that area in hopes that if I Educated them to much with my other calls I will sound like a different bunch of elk.  Don't know if it works or not, but I did it this year and killed the bull that winded me the day previous.  In years past I have also had a bull that would only answer my hoochie mama.  I used my reed, bugled at him and the only thing he would respond to was the hoochie.  Used it and called him into my uncle who missed him at 12 yards! couldn't help but laugh as I only had a deer tag in my pocket.

Had great luck with the Hoochie when it first came out. I have had issues with bite and blow style calls, mostly Copenhagen related ;D

I love woodswise hyperhot, it's a little older but I can make more sounds with it.  It has a little more rasp and depth then others.  Diaphragm I like is primos white one-can't remember the name but it's single reed and easy to do everything on.

I also like the Primos white diaphragm call, and sceery cow in heat. I have almost been run over by a bull using the sceery call.

I have alot of calls, but I have some that I use more then others. I have 3 Primos Cowgirls that are all tuned differently. I also use the Temptress alot. As far as mouth reeds, It depends on the situation. When cold calling, I use the red Primos call. If I'm in the middle of elk, I may switch over to the herdmaster for more versatility.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back