Where does Colorado get there OTC numbers from?

rershooter

Mar 27, 2018
  Where does Colorado get their OTC numbers from? For example, number of bowhunters, success rates, ect?  You don't have to register elk, how can they know? Your tag is good for any OTC unit, how do they know where you hunt?

I read up on this one time. They hire a company to call random people who bought certain tags and they take a poll of what you killed if you killed one what unit so on a so forth and then they compile all the data and come up with there numbers off of the info they are given. I think they mentioned that they are about 90-95% correct on there numbers. I will see if I can find this info and post it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBigShow said:
I read up on this one time. They hire a company to call random people who bought certain tags and they take a poll of what you killed if you killed one what unit so on a so forth and then they compile all the data and come up with there numbers off of the info they are given. I think they mentioned that they are about 90-95% correct on there numbers. I will see if I can find this info and post it

I would be shocked if the numbers were 90-95% accurate. Actually I?d be shocked if they were 50% accurate. They do make those phone calls, but definitely not many of them. I think I?ve gotten one call in the last 7-8 years that I remember?

Near the top under methodology

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2017StatewideElkHarvest.pdf

I didn?t say I believe the numbers just saying that is how it?s done. I personally have never been called in the last 3 years but my dad gets called every year. It?s all random I guess but any statistics available I will look at. I read about how the stats were gathered and decide there validity from there

I would hope the CPW considers mandatory harvest registration in the next 5 Yr Big Game Structure

It could be as simple as filling out a Harvest Ticket and sending it in. If you dont comply, you cant buy a license or get a PP the following year

cnelk said:
I would hope the CPW considers mandatory harvest registration in the next 5 Yr Big Game Structure

It could be as simple as filling out a Harvest Ticket and sending it in. If you dont comply, you cant buy a license or get a PP the following year
I agree completely with this. In MN where I am from they make it as easy as online or call in. And the only way you can have meat brought to a butcher shop is to have a registration number. I know there are still ways around this system but it is much better than a hit or miss polling system

TheBigShow said:
Thanks for sharing that! I've never actually seen that before. I'm actually amazed that they were able to get 50,618 completed surveys on 217,301 tags. A little over 23% of people completed surveys, which is way higher than I would have guessed.

I definitely agree that it should be a mandatory survey. With all the technology available, it shouldn't be too difficult. For anyone that has had to get a HIP number in Colorado, they know it could be as simple as that.

We have mandatory game check for deer, bear and turkey.. All of which can be done by phone call, internet or via an app for smartphones... Very simple to do and if the AGFC can afford to do it so can Colorado...

In the past couple years I had to complete Nebraska mantadory online or phone registration, and Alaska's required Harvest Tickets

Its not as if its not already being done

Just think, how much better the GMU data would be, which in turn would help using PPs

cnelk said:
Just think, how much better the GMU data would be, which in turn would help using PPs
Assuming they are able to get people to tell the truth. I know that's an issue now.

When I first started going to Colorado around 1996, every year on the way home we would always have to stop at a game check on the Colorado Wyoming border and there was also a game check in kremmling just down the road from the hotel my grandpa stayed at. What happened to these?

cohunter14 said:
cnelk said:
Assuming they are able to get people to tell the truth. I know that's an issue now.
This is something I have never understood, why lie about what you killed unless you didn?t have the correct tag (poaching). Do they not understand they are collecting the information to better help the wildlife?

TheBigShow said:
This is something I have never understood, why lie about what you killed unless you didn?t have the correct tag (poaching). Do they not understand they are collecting the information to better help the wildlife?

People don't want to share that they are harvesting elk to help protect their areas. They figure if they and others share that they are really punching that many tags, it makes the success percentage increase and makes the area more appealing. I personally don't think that a single person or two not being truthful will change this, but what about a group of 10-12 guys who all typically fill their tags?

cohunter14 said:
TheBigShow said:

People don't want to share that they are harvesting elk to help protect their areas. They figure if they and others share that they are really punching that many tags, it makes the success percentage increase and makes the area more appealing. I personally don't think that a single person or two not being truthful will change this, but what about a group of 10-12 guys who all typically fill their tags?
Exactly

Here?s a sample question that is asked on a CPW survey:

?Did you feel your hunting experience was -?

A- Very Crowded
B- Crowded
C- Somewhat crowded
D- Not crowded

I?m betting not a single otc hunter has ever chosen D
Not because they didn?t see anyone, but don?t want to let anyone know they had the place to themselves:)

cnelk said:
Here?s a sample question that is asked on a CPW survey:

?Did you feel your hunting experience was -?

A- Very Crowded
B- Crowded
C- Somewhat crowded
D- Not crowded

I?m betting not a single otc hunter has ever chosen D
Not because they didn?t see anyone, but don?t want to let anyone know they had the place to themselves:)

I would hazard a guess that your right Brad...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back