Which game bags are you using for elk?

Lark Bunting

Sep 14, 2016
I thought I had made a Big-Boy decision and bought Alaskan game bags. I thought they were decent bags but I guess my memory was askew...and I hated them. I am upgrading to something that will protect the meat, is strong, is washable, etc. The obvious choices are Caribou and Kuiu. Let me know if you have a preference or another contender.

Also, how many and exactly which size from your choice.

Haven't seen either in action but I have black ovis and buddy has kuiu. Both feel similar to me and seem like they will last for quite a few seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAG bags for me, have a set of black ovis as well and they seem very similar, 2 elk and 1 mule deer so far in the tags, washable and no loose threads yet.

Over-sized pillow cases for me

5MEyh08.jpg

I use cheap ones from Walmart and I get years and years of use out of them.  Fancy gamebags are as much a gimic as scent killer dryer sheets IMO

Agree with OTC Will. Here are four of them vacuum sealed with a coffee cup for size comparison. Found them at Wally World for $2 bucks after the season sale!

Attachments

• 148.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 26
I use the Alaskan bags,  but wow, that vacuum pack idea is VERY smart. I'll have to start doing that!

I used the Black Ovis bags for my elk this year and they worked great. I have them cleaned up and packed up for next year already.

otcWill said:
I use cheap ones from Walmart and I get years and years of use out of them.  Fancy gamebags are as much a gimic as scent killer dryer sheets IMO

I second that, I've yet to have an issue with Wally bags.

DTP said:
I use the Alaskan bags,  but wow, that vacuum pack idea is VERY smart. I'll have to start doing that!
I stole the same idea from Bill a couple years ago. Now I also vacuum seal some rubber gloves, a couple small garbage bags for the backstraps and loins, and a zip tie for my tag as well. Put them all in one bag, seal it up, and you have a kill kit ready to go in the bottom of the pack.

I bought Wal-mart out of their gamebags when they were on sale in San Diego, lol. No one was buying them, so they lowered the price to a quarter a piece. I took the whole shelf and have about 50 of them.

Jason Balazs said:
I bought Wal-mart out of their gamebags when they were on sale in San Diego, lol. No one was buying them, so they lowered the price to a quarter a piece. I took the whole shelf and have about 50 of them.

Now, that's amazing!  :-D

pillow cases for me. 

I put a "drawstring" in the fold so it works like an old tobacco pouch.

I've only killed two now, but the bags have worked well both times.

I have been using T.A.G bags from quite a few years and like them a lot. Can get 6 in my pack pretty easily. Just ordered a set of Hang Em High game bags to try also. Heard good things about them. https://www.facebook.com/hangemhighgamebags/ what I want it a quality bag that I can get 6 in a small stuff sack and always have enough bags to do an elk.

I used the black Ovis ones this year and my buddy used the Alaskan. This was both our first trip hunting elk and I won?t use the Alaskans at all. I don?t know if we had a bad batch or what but his bags ripped on us and luckily we had mine and I loved them. They were easy to hang, and they are rewashable/reusable. I love that.

OTC will, are those the Allen brand that Walmart carries?  If so will have to stock up as they are pretty cheap here as well.

I just picked up a set of BlackOvis from Camofire.com that were discounted.  Hopefully I will get to use them this year.

I guess I've never seen these wall Mart game bags.. I feel skeptical about them tho.. for $40 on camofire, the black ovis elk bags are money. Comes with 4 quarter bags and one meat bag.  There just as good  as kuiu or caribou . I don't agree that game bags are a gimic of the hunting industry.. anyone that would admit to losing meat to flies or dirt or whatever will testify to this.  anything  (within reason)  that aids in getting my meat off the mtn unspoiled is worth it to me.. I've put 3 elk in mine last year and being able to hose them off and use them again is a good investment to me. I don't see myself buying any for awhile.

If your local Wally World doesn't stock the Allen game bags, I think the Remington ones are the same thing.

They can be washed and reused several times. I consider them to be a multi-use item. They can be used as a sling for an injured arm, a pillow, a bandage, or just about anything else you can think of. Also, when you vacuum seal them like I do, they make an excellent liner for the bottom of your pack and take up very little room at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back