Which Tag?

Ivar88

Aug 8, 2017
With half of the states closing their doors on the application process, most of us should have in mind which tags we want most. Of your applications, both current and future applications for 2018, which tag are you wanting to draw most?

I broke down and put in for the New Mexico draw late yesterday with an hour left. If you have ever accessed that website when people are checking results or trying to buy leftover tags, it is the SLOWEST more FRUSTRATING thing you will ever experience. It even kicks you out from time to time! The result was no different for the witching hour on the deadline for applications. I was able to get in and process my apps, so needless to say, a mature bull in the Lincoln National Forest is on my mind! I have spent so much time hiking and shed hunting in there, but have never drawn a tag. So, of all three states that I have applied for, New Mexico Lincoln National Forest would be my dream 2018 tag!

Once this season's application process is over, I'll have submitted roughly 20ish (or more) applications.

I think if I were to only get one this year it would be my go to NM archery elk tag.

It's by far my favorite place in the world to be and I am so ready to get back up there.  :upthumb:

It's a total long shot, but it would be awesome to draw my Colorado moose tag! If I don't draw that one, there's nothing else really out there that I'm holding my breath for. It's an OTC or easy to draw tag year for me.

I?m in MT if I can draw the Elk Horn tag I?m taking two weeks off and hitting it hard.  My points and draw percentage are at a high 3-4% haha!  I guess average success is 10+ years at this tag.

For deer there is a ?trophy? district, which I?m more concerned for meat for the freezer bordering Idaho that I?ve applied for 6 years now. It holds some real toads.

These are the equivalent of a powerball win if you draw one.  Onetime a guy was offering just a ?finders fee? for anyone who could put him onto a stout Muley on private land.  Anyone care to guess the fee?              $2500  :shock:  Just to point him in the right direction should he be successful. Which I know outfitters can run 5x that but still that?s not chump change!!!

Kdkehoe said:
I?m in MT if I can draw the Elk Horn tag I?m taking two weeks off and hitting it hard.  My points and draw percentage are at a high 3-4% haha!  I guess average success is 10+ years at this tag.

For deer there is a ?trophy? district, which I?m more concerned for meat for the freezer bordering Idaho that I?ve applied for 6 years now. It holds some real toads.

These are the equivalent of a powerball win if you draw one.  Onetime a guy was offering just a ?finders fee? for anyone who could put him onto a stout Muley on private land.  Anyone care to guess the fee?              $2500  :shock:  Just to point him in the right direction should he be successful. Which I know outfitters can run 5x that but still that?s not chump change!!!

A toad muley is definitely on my list one of these years, but maybe not this year. I do have the opportunity to chase them in the badlands here in North Dakota, but I?ve never been there so I?m sure what to expect. GOOD LUCK!

cohunter14 said:
It's a total long shot, but it would be awesome to draw my Colorado moose tag! If I don't draw that one, there's nothing else really out there that I'm holding my breath for. It's an OTC or easy to draw tag year for me.

Good luck with the moose tag! We?ve been seeing them more and more as we venture out here in ND, so I know the feeling of wanting to hunt them.

DTP said:
Once this season's application process is over, I'll have submitted roughly 20ish (or more) applications.

I think if I were to only get one this year it would be my go to NM archery elk tag.

It's by far my favorite place in the world to be and I am so ready to get back up there.  :upthumb:

If you draw your ~20 tags, you?re going to need a time machine  :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back