Which Would You Choose?

My set up is pretty close to #4. 30 1/2" Gold Tip Hunter Pro 300's, 50gr insert with a 125 gr head. total= 498 with like 14-15 % FOC

I would go with arrow 3 or 4. Personally I shoot a 485 grain arrow at 273 fps and the arrow flies well. I find it is a happy medium between speed and ke and I manage to get the FOC to 13%.

Alright, so since I started this thread I've been able to actually test arrows 2-4. Arrow 1 is my current arrow. Here are the actual speeds and FOC's:

Arrow 1: 429 grains, 285 feet per second, 9.83% FOC
Arrow 2: 454 grains, 279 feet per second, 11.92% FOC
Arrow 3: 467 grains, 276 feet per second, 12.76% FOC
Arrow 4: 492 grains, 270 feet per second, 14.44% FOC

The speed actually stayed up pretty good compared to what the calculators were saying, which is nice. I've been testing these by shooting 40 yards groups and am definitely getting some interesting results. Let's just say a change might be in the works!

So I chose to do this at 40 yards because I figured it would show some decent dispersion and I also wouldn?t ruin any arrows. Well, both of those ideas have been ?okay? but not great. Dispersion is there to a decent degree and it?s showing me that my now definitely doesn?t prefer the heavier #4 arrow. Arrows 1-3 are pretty close, but 2 and 3 seem to be better right now.

As far as not ruining arrows, well...this happened twice this morning:

2abf2234e53d9d452662fef36239fbe5.jpg

34cf1f86439f5c0d16afe7dfd42cc4a5.jpg

5ea95976ad99c0aa24f8eb6d086809a7.jpg

The first two pics are the first incident, which luckily only needed a new knock. The second one needs a new knock and bushing. Luckily, this happened with the same arrow setup  :think:

So needless to say, the 40 yard groups are done for now. Each of these groups was shot using three arrows and alternating between another arrow setup. Basically I'd shoot two separate three-shot groups at the same time. I also tried shooting them in some wind as well as when it was calm. Here are the average group measurements that were done going from the outside of the shafts (outside to outside):

Arrow 1: 3.56"
Arrow 2: 3.13"
Arrow 3: 3.01"
Arrow 4: 4.09"

If I remove the worst group shot from each, here's what those averages do:

Arrow 1: 3.39"
Arrow 2: 2.86"
Arrow 3: 2.90"
Arrow 4: 3.88"

I think it's safe to say Arrow 4 is out, but the plan is to shoot for a few more days at 50 or 60 yards and make sure those results match up.. Then the next trick is to shoot with broadheads and see how that works out. I should have it all figured out in the next week or two, which gives me plenty of time to dial in the sight before the season.

So to go back to WW's question, why do this? I guess just because I am weird and like to tinker. Instead of why fix what isn't broken, I'm looking at this like why not switch to a different setup if it's better? More to come!

If I remember correctly you just started this bowhunting a couple years ago. You are learning fast! Excellent shooting! Thanks for the information you are sharing.

Bowhunter1 said:
If I remember correctly you just started this bowhunting a couple years ago. You are learning fast! Excellent shooting! Thanks for the information you are sharing.

Thanks Terry! Yeah, this will be my third year of archery hunting. I was fortunate to have someone who was pretty knowledgeable to learn from, but it's nice to expand on that and figure out what works best for you. All the tinkering you can do with a bow is crazy, but I'm fascinated by trying to figure out the best setup. And by the time I do that, I'll probably need a new bow again  :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back