Who Elk hunts SOLO?

DIRK DURHAM

Dec 18, 2012

Who doesn't have an elk hunting partner to share the pursuit of these big nasty bulls that we are all so fond of?

I touch base on a few of my favorite solo tactics in the next "Antler Tips" section of Extreme Elk magazine. They may just give you one more trick to stuff up your sleeve in the elk woods this fall!
If you haven't signed up yet for a subscription, the deadline is April 12th to insure that you don't miss this issue :)

00small79004006.JPG

I hunt solo quite frequently.  I haven't tagged out solo yet but I've had 98% go right before a bad wind off the end of my shoulder or a bull stop on the other side of a tree.  Bummers in the moment but as far as solo elk hunting goes not a bad show. 

It presents different issues and rewards than partner or group hunts provide.  Out solo it's just a man and his thoughts.  Again, value and hindrance both exist.  At times hunting with partners can be frustrating at times if a mutual understanding is not achieved and plans for "infiltration" of the herd are differing.  I've literally quit talking to friends who hunt during September/October to avoid them messing up my hunt.  Solo its just me and my sub-egos.  Total ownership of plans, actions and consequence.  As a bit of a control freak, it appeals to me to hunt alone if a good friend and partner is not available. 
Downsides here exist as well in big country as you cannot fan out to find the herd and can spend days looking when as a group could find the herd and make plans for how to approach them. 
Also, the clear and most challenging drawback is not caving a caller 50 yard behind you.  This dynamic shift forces a solo hunter to alter the method for setting up on an approaching bull.  I have found the success I have had in calling as an aggressive bull at distance intermixed with cow calls while closing the gap.  I typically phase down the bugling and pick up the cow calls while closing the gap.  I attempt to pose myself as a lost cow in heat in the red zone,  calling and moving ahead.  Wind direction is highly important here and has been my undoing several times within 40 yards.  As most hunters are aware, bulls will come from the downwind direction so when moving forward I try and keep the line in mind and disguise my position for a shot as the bull comes around to pick up the lost cow. 

In conjunction with not having a caller means the full responsibility of packing out that sucker solo too.  This means closing the areas you can hunt a bit as you will be working hard, after the pursuit has yielded result.  My father is an old salty dog who continues to hunt solo at times and two years ago at age 55 got his bull and packed it out solo.  He did however keep close to the top ridge line and worked hard to call the bull out of a bottom rather than plunging down and packing out.

I've at this time only sealed the deal while hunting partner style.  However, I know when the deal goes down right for me the risk/reward ratio will make the years of effort and frustration worth the payoff. 

I definatley hunt solo more than I hunt with a buddy.  Usually for no other reason than time/work/family constraints for both of us.  However, I have found that I actually prefer to work the woods alone, for elk, mulies, or bear.  There are several cons as well as pros to being solo.  I've found that I am more apt to learn from my mistakes when I am solo.  Its just me and I can sit and think about what happened, make changes and move on.  It also allows me to use what tactic I feel is right, instead of perhaps being swayed by the other guy.  Don't get me wrong, I have some great hunting buddies and we have called in bulls and helped pack out all kinds of animals for each other.  But when I'm listening to a bull down in the hole, I can go at him my way.  Also, I echo alot of what Montana_Backcountry said,  so I won't repeat.  If you are hesitant to hunt solo, the first time you make a successful stalk and kill....you will be hooked and your buddies continually give you a hard time for not calling.

I bow hunt solo 95% of the time,and have good luck with it and lots of good times.however I would gladly take a partner out ,she just hasent let me know she is interested yet. ;)  Women who bow hunt elk are more scarce than the big bulls are!!!

I bow hunt solo 100% of the time.  I have yet to find a hunting partner that shares the same determination and dedication I do. So it's easier if I go at it alone.  Now I do go with my father when he hints but when I hunt he likes to hang in camp.  He's getting to that age where he can't make those long packs in and out.  We have shared some great times and I always wish my father was in better health but at theend of the day I know he supports me and would be happy if I shot something no matter if he was there or not.

Ive had plans to hunt with a partner the past two times I've gone on an archery elk hunt but both times I ended up going alone.  First time I spent about 10 days hunting on my own and had several encounters and was able to draw on a really nice bull but he spooked just as I was touching off the shot.  I knew he was gone before the arrow left my bow.  This past year I was able to tag my bull on the 4th day of my solo hunt, what a feeling! I cant wait to read the Antler Tips article in the next issue, hopefully I can pick up something that will help me out this fall!

I elk hunt solo about half the time that I spend in the elk woods each fall. Seems very equal on success. Ienjoy hunting with or without a partner. I do hunt differently but either way is great with me

I hunt solo most of the time and am always looking for more great advice! should be a great article. I prefer to hunt with a partner because it makes the day more enjoyable. However I have taken more animals solo than with partners when bowhunting but I just think that is more part of the randomness of where animals end up during the season.

Last year I would hunt with a buddy on the weekend and the solo during the week. I called in a bull to about ten yards. Just couldn't get things lined out. It is definitely easier to hunt with a caller/filmer. This is the self filmed video of the bull http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-6b1EMG5SM&feature=youtube_gdata_player watch to the end he bulges right next to me

I have a buddy that I always spend at least one week hunting with. Other than that I fly solo unless my wife wants to shoot something.....so usually I'm out there by myself haha.

Almost always solo anymore.  Unless it's someone I trust ethics and endurance wise.  I've hunted with a few people that I thought were good to go, but they ended up just being blood thirsty  :mad: .  One lost 20 pounds in a week, which ruined the hunt, but provided endless entertainment  ;D .

Can't wait to read the article.............

I always like to go into camp on a 7-10 day stretch with a couple of friends.  Throughout the week's time frame we'll partner up and fly solo depending on how the elk are acting and on the consistency/prevalence of bear or wolf sign.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages as have been mentioned above.  I prefer to hunt solo when I'm bird-dogging a herd for the day or just find myself in an exploratory mood.  If they're talking and responding positively to calling there is no question that having a partner film/call 50-100 yards behind you is the way to go. 

I don't bow hunt and new to forum,but I almost always hunt alone. 6 straight yrs for bulls and only 1 day with someone else.  I have always used bow style tactics on my rifle and mz hunts,the closer the better. Most of my 35+ yrs of deer hunting have been solo too.

This will be my first hunt solo in a few years, I'll be in the Jarbidge Wilderness (Nevada) on an archery bull tag. It's pretty big country which gets me worried a little but oh well. I'll get'er done....LOL

I  hunt archery solo mostly due to not having a partner, but I do enjoy making all of the decisions and relying on only my knowledge and skills.

LVLK that area is pretty big country but I have seen some monster bulls in that area.  If you get into the elk you won't be disappointed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back