Who Else?

Don K

Mar 31, 2014
Is looking at 2017 Elk?

I have returned from MT for less than a week and I have already been checking draw odds and hunts for other states from this year. The whole year leads up to a couple weeks off and before you know it its over.

I\'m really going to try to draw something next year as the last two OTC elk hunts have been tough.

My wife thinks I\'m nuts as I\'m already taking notes and trying to figure out my various options for next year.

I have a list of gear that I need, and a list of gear that I want.......

Ahh, only 11 and a half months to go

I\'ve been doing it every day!
Already have my New Mexico hunts lined up that I want to apply for.
Then depending on the draw results I have states lined up I wanna go chase elk OTC and I\'m also really interested in a mue deer hunt this year.

So many options!

ive missed the last two years, dont plan on missing next year. my son should have enuf pp for a ml tag. hes not much of a hunter but hope he will take advantage of the youth discount tag

I\'ve still got a rifle hunt in a couple weeks, followed by an eastern Colorado deer hunt, so I\'ve got a couple weeks before I\'ll be fully thinking about next year...but yes, next year has already crossed my mind :D

I should be guaranteed to draw the unit I had hoped to draw this year. I will only hunt elk if I draw. I also have 2 deer points but may wait a year so I can focus on the elk tag.

Glad Im not the only one.

We have deer season opening this weekend, and all I have been thinking about is next years Elk season.

I remember when I was elk hunting, even during the hunt that was going on at the time, my mind would wonder to things I could be doing the rest of the year to be better prepared for the next year... :D :D

Maybe I day dreamed too much is the reason the elk won more times than I did.... :lol: :lol:

Kenny and I texted back and forth over prospective units to put in for just Yesterday.

Already looking at draw and harvest stats, poring over Google Earth. There are merits to having a desk job :D

Hoping to hunt with a couple of Ft. Collins pros next season! :D

Thinking of dumping my Wyo antelope points or putting in for a cow moose tag as well. Let the 2017 preparations begin!

\"Planning Season\" is not quite here yet, but \"Pre-Planning Season\" is open for sure.

This year suffered from lack of planning:

-- My buddy\'s plans changed, and he didn\'t make it out to hunt
-- I screwed up and didn\'t apply for a pronghorn buck tag and got two doe tags instead
-- My back-up plans didn\'t pan out, and I didn\'t have back-up back-up plans

But ... the season isn\'t over. A pronghorn doe needs to get chased. A Nebraska whitetail doe, as well. And then there is still rifle cow elk.

All could have been planned better, and you can bet that I\'m thinking ahead for 2017. I pride myself on planning, and this year I didn\'t do well at all.

I have a few \'open\' tags on the docket yet so next year\'s plans are dim but cross my mind occasionally.

But I did buy my PPs for Wyoming yesterday... :)

Been thinking about it for a while now... Mostly thinking about what I want to do with my PP situation. Is it worth chasing the ghosts of the 20 pt tags or should I burn the points on a decent unit and go for the couple pp units every few years? :think:

:lol: Not ready for next year. This year is just starting for me. Have 2 shots at getting a nice Bull, Colorado or New Mexico.

Hey guys thought Id check in again, its been a while. Got screwed changing jobs and didn\'t get to do anything this year, it killed my soul to even think about getting back out west this year. As of now only got one week off for 17 so Im not sure if gonna even try next year. Did get my NM elk back from taxidermy couple weeks ago, nothing record breaking but still first Elk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back