Who packs a pistol?

44 mag for me.  In western Montana I'd rather have some punch behind it but I'm still not sure if it's enough haha.  Anyhow since I solo hunt I'm thinking about also carrying spray so I have both🤞

Bignate said:
how are most of you carrying?  Chest rig/ holster on belt of backpack?  Im looking for options

I carry with a shoulder holster that will fit either of my pistols, I found that the hip holsters or paddle holsters get covered up from my pack waist belt making it more difficult to get to fast if needed.

I carry as I stated and I?m not much for leg drops and hip holsters can be a pain.  I found aliengear holsters now have a pack strap mount that?s similar to a chest rig but not as bulky. Looks interesting

G and F keeps dumping problem bears in the middle of my hunting area. I?m looking for a new area. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always carried a .357 snub nose, but I'm considering going to a single stack 9mm or maybe a snub nose .38.

After listening to Seal and Coach Chris Forrest on the EXO MTN podcast, I'll be purchasing 10mm.  He says you want velocity over caliber size of .45 & .40.  He said his wood block testing shows the need for velocity. He said the larger big revolvers will suffice as well.  He said from his testing he'd prefer 9mm over a .45.  Said, full jacket not hollow points.  Hardened lead is preferrable. 

After his story about Todd and the grizzly speed he referenced, I will not be putting my health and wellness security in bear spray. 
If I get charged, I'd rather dispatch the animal to heaven than give him some chilly and flare than a blurry smoke show.  I respect the approach to avoid and hide when in their territory, but I've seen Grizzly Man and know better to think I can bark up a big teddy.  You see guys fishing and photographing with them, I think that's absurd.
If you are man of faith, you also know spirits can control wild animals?I like to deal with that in bullets and the name Jesus.  And given my faith, in that order.  I think Jesus knew exactly what he meant when he said you'll do greater things than I. 

We used to carry the good old .44 S&W revolver and killed black bears no problem. 
Now backpacking and considering size and weight, I'm looking for a 10mm(despite it's size and weight).  I've gained loveyeyes for the Sig P220 Hunter. 

I've treed both cats and black bear with hounds and feel like my bark is big enough for them to reconsider their proximity.  I've actually treed a black bear using my voice without a hound.  Although, it was already on the run and I approached it in my truck:)?A garbage bear; even still, they don't like the noise. He did not stay treed very long:); as they do with weak treeing and/or a couple hounds on them.  Without hounds, I'm a little less confident at night and feel better at night with my gun on standby. 

In all my years hunting, I've never lit up a panther at night without hounds. I do believe cats keep their distance, but you never know what their circumstances are and I like to be pro-active-vigilant?hate to be fooled once.   

Here's the Podcast & Chris link:
http://exomountaingear.com/121/
http://www.tacticmt.com/

DEEF said:
After listening to Seal and Coach Chris Forrest on the EXO MTN podcast, I'll be purchasing 10mm.  He says you want velocity over caliber size of .45 & .40.  He said his wood block testing shows the need for velocity. He said the larger big revolvers will suffice as well.  He said from his testing he'd prefer 9mm over a .45.  Said, full jacket not hollow points.  Hardened lead is preferrable. 

After his story about Todd and the grizzly speed he referenced, I will not be putting my health and wellness security in bear spray. 
If I get charged, I'd rather dispatch the animal to heaven than give him some chilly and flare than a blurry smoke show.  I respect the approach to avoid and hide when in their territory, but I've seen Grizzly Man and know better to think I can bark up a big teddy.  You see guys fishing and photographing with them, I think that's absurd.
If you are man of faith, you also know spirits can control wild animals?I like to deal with that in bullets and the name the man upstairs.  And given my faith, in that order.  I think the man upstairs knew exactly what he meant when he said you'll do greater things than I. 

We used to carry the good old .44 S&W revolver and killed black bears no problem. 
Now backpacking and considering size and weight, I'm looking for a 10mm(despite it's size and weight).  I've gained loveyeyes for the Sig P220 Hunter. 

I've treed both cats and black bear with hounds and feel like my bark is big enough for them to reconsider their proximity.  I've actually treed a black bear using my voice without a hound.  Although, it was already on the run and I approached it in my truck:)?A garbage bear; even still, they don't like the noise. He did not stay treed very long:); as they do with weak treeing and/or a couple hounds on them.  Without hounds, I'm a little less confident at night and feel better at night with my gun on standby. 

In all my years hunting, I've never lit up a panther at night without hounds. I do believe cats keep their distance, but you never know what their circumstances are and I like to be pro-active-vigilant?hate to be fooled once.   

Here's the Podcast & Chris link:
http://exomountaingear.com/121/
http://www.tacticmt.com/

I just listened to the same podcast and it reminded me of the age old question as to whether you want a heavier arrow that hits hard or if you want a faster arrow that may not carry the weight to penetrate completely. I like the idea of the 10mm, but I still wouldn't discount the .45.

I ended up buying a 10mm. Double stack. 16 round clips.....
2a3eb69de58d979a4615220769f4ba7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. Run buffalo bore hard cast through there and you?ll put down anything you need in the woods. 

If I have pants on, I'm packing. Just a choice I made years ago. When I am hunting I carry a S&W 340PD. Ultra light .357 mag 2"bbl. I carry it on my belt or if carrying a bigger pack, the hip belt strap on the pack. It weighs in at 12 oz. empty. It is a bear to shoot with magnum loads but if you need it.... Just everyday I have a Springfield Armory XDS .45. Now grizzly country I would take the 44 mag with the heaviest cast lead bullets I could find.

I live in Alberta so I bought a Rossi.ranchhand in 44. MAG they are non restricted here

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I carry a Ruger .45 American, bought my custom Kenai chest holster that I am patiently waiting for. Ran into a decent bull moose at 10-15 yards with my bow and decided it was time.

44 mag here.  I can?t say for sure that it is sufficient for griz but it?s better than nothing.  I pair that with spray as well.

I deer hunt in a super rural area with little or no cell reception at all and carry my GP 100 357 here in Ohio, out west I pack my Ruger Alaskan 44 mag.

Im an advocate of carrying a handgun that you can shoot accurately under pressure. It that means a big revolver then do it, if its a small revolver thats fine, if its a semi auto then great.

I personally carry a Glock 20 (10MM) Loaded with 200gr Hard Cast Lead. I decided I shoot a Semi, faster and more accurate than a revolver. I can shoot a revolver just fine, but when it came down to business of drawing a firearm and putting rounds down range, I am more effective with the glock. So I chose to carry it over my 454 Casull. I run a Kenai Chest Holster and love it.

I carry a Glock 22 (.40), hip carry when hunting.  I really dont even notice it, so there's very little "cost" to doing so and gives some peace of mind.  I used to carry a revolver arguing they were more reliable, but after doing some training scenarios I realized that in the unlikely event that I ever do need to use a handgun in defense (either 2 or 4 legged) I want a lot more ammo than a revolver provides.

I carry a .40 XDm. Im quite accurate with it and feel very comfortable with it. Looking at getting a holster that I can put on my pack and carry that way.

Seems that not many have experienced our worked with charging bear scenarios. They don't stop much with noise and when that 9mm smacks their skull the charging is likely fueled even more

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back