Who packs a pistol?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
Colorado allows a pistol carry when bowhunting for protection from bears. I have a .380 caliber that is small, but MAY keep a black bear away. I know it's not even close to grizzly medicine.
What pistols if any do you carry?

I carry a .45 ACP, but I can't say it's for bears (don't really worry about them).  It's for large cats that feel the need to follow me around and the potentially stupid two legged creatures out there.

Not worried about the bears, definitely the wolves or cats.  I carry a Glock .40 which works just fine.  Also for those people out there that think they run the mountain and want to start some problems.

I carry a Taurus judge which has a .45 long colt.  I'm not convinced it'd do too much tho.  I also have bear spray which is probably more effective in low wind conditions.  A guy here in montana put down a charging griz with a .357 magnum last Spring so I guess it's possible. 
The griz was a mother unfortunately... illustrating more reason to at least carry bear spray as non lethal deterrent.
When dealing with griz i think the best prevention is pre-prevention.  Be heads up out there.

I carry a S&W 40 with me at all times. Used to carry pepper spray but don't like packing it on my hip with everything else. The holster with pistol hooks on my pack so it works out good.

There are a few cats were I hunt in Colorado but never thought they would approach a hunter. Seems from posts they are more of a concern than bears.
Are there more cat attacks or encounters than bear?
Neither one sounds inviting.

I carry my .357 magnum as it's the largest caliber handgun I own. I'd love to have a larger caliber revolver but it's just not in the budget currently.

I never thought about carrying my 45 but with so many of you carrying, it has made me reconsider carrying it.

nclonghunter said:
There are a few cats were I hunt in Colorado but never thought they would approach a hunter. Seems from posts they are more of a concern than bears.
Are there more cat attacks or encounters than bear?
Neither one sounds inviting.

statistics don't really put my mind at ease when it comes to cats.  my concern is because of the amount of time i spend hiking in the dark and the uncertainty of a cat's intentions. i know several guys that have had cats follow them around (probably just curiosity), and i just don't know if i could easily understand their intentions.  so I want to be able to scare them off (if they don't run, then i know what they are thinking  :-\ ).  when i think of a black bear encounter i feel my decision is simpler.  if a black bear is following me or sees me and doesn't run, then they're a threat and need to be treated as such.  not sure my reasoning is perfectly sound, but it's just what i'm thinking when i'm in the woods.

45 cal.  Hope i never need it.  Cats and bears are a concern, but hunting public land I'm probably more concerned about stumbling into some druggy and his little pot farm.  Like I said, I hope I never need it but I think it's worth carrying just in case.

When I hunt Montana I carry my Glock Model 22, 40 S & W when I am scouting, I only rifle hunt, so once the Season starts I just carry my Rifle.
there are to many critters up there that might want me for dinner, so I never leave camp without a gun.

Kevin

I don't carry a pistol, I don't have one, but if I did have one, I still probably wouldn't, just extra weight.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back