Who uses protein supplements?

Montana_BackCountry

Jan 9, 2013
Hey I wanted to see who out there uses a protein supplement that they are pleased with and would recommend.  I just started using a really cheap protein powder after workouts and have noticed a big jump in muscle mass this month so i'm interested in stepping it up to a more quality brand if someone has one to recommend.  Thanks for any feedback.

Look for something with low calories per scoop. The cheaper or bulking proteins are very high in calories. I only take protein on training days. Google and online calculator and roughly figure out how much protein you need a day.

I use Cyrosport 100% Whey Protein. You can get it at Costco. It may seem expensive but one bag last me 4-6 months. I use 1/2 to full scoop per day. Use 1/2 a scoop at a time, not the full scoop. Your body just can't absorb that much at once. So 1/2 scoop in with my morning Oatmeal, 1/2 scoop with my water (not milk) bottle for my work outs. A side bonus to whey protein is it leaves you feeling satisfied and not hungry all the time.

I use the same brand as bow caddy, but mine lasts 2 - 3 months.  He is correct that your body can only intake so much protein, which all depends on your level of activity.  You can read around, but I really enjoy the cytosport from Costco.  I have been thinking of doing Wilderness Athlete though.

I am using it for meal replacement that way I'm eating 5 smaller meals per day to cut weight and promote lean muscle mass production.  I have Syntha Six by BSN.  I like the flavors.

nutrilite whey protien has whey more than just protiens like essential amino acids that help you get more out of the protien that you ingest by helping you break them down. bout 45$ last me a month. When it comes to health stuff you get what ya pay for. 

Depends on your goals, for example, mine is to lose weight. Body Fat mainly, and I take in roughly 150 to 200 grams per day. Break them down in between your lean meat protein sources and my whey and casein protein shakes. I use 100% Gold Standard.
Expensive but you can find good deals on it. And depending on how you take it or when you take it will determine how long it lasts you. I agree with finding a lean protein mix. Taking it over the coarse of the day will help you reach these higher protein intakes, like others have said, your body can only absorb so much at a time. I take just as much on non training days to aid in recovery and a healthier diet. I like using shakes as meal replacements as well for convenience.

I use the whey protein for prework out and post work out. Casein for mixing in with oatmeal or meal replacements.

When I was younger, and working out hard with weights I took tons of Blair's milk and egg protein powder.

Now as an old man I just eat the milk and eggs, and hike off the calories.

I like the ready to drink protein shakes from EAS. Ibuy the 20g protein drinks in the chocolate fudge flavor.

Thanks Mountain Bowhunter for the heads up on the toxins in the EAS protein shakes! I hope since that article was written in 2010 the companies have changed their products and removed the toxic metals.

http://greatlakesgelatin.com/storefront/consumer/collagen-hydrolysate.html

great source of protein, great for joints as well... I do 4 scoops a day on top of cyto, 2 scoops with water...

AJHURD said:
Thanks Mountain Bowhunter for the heads up on the toxins in the EAS protein shakes! I hope since that article was written in 2010 the companies have changed their products and removed the toxic metals.

I doubt it.  I found a thread on a forum where somebody from muscle milk responded saying something like "well as long as you stay under a certain amount per day, you won't exceed the daily limits for the toxic metals, so you can continue to enjoy muscle milk products regularly."  The question I have is not if I will exceed the daily limits,  the question is why are there ANY toxic substances in something that is marketed as a health product.

Supposedly that is actually common with almost all of the protein supplements.  All the bodybuilders don't care and their argument is "there are toxic metals in a lot of foods that we eat everyday" as if that makes it ok and laugh like it's silly to be concerned about it.  I'm sorry but the foods I eat everyday do not contain toxic chemicals and if so I'm definitely not going to knowingly add to it.  Seems ridiculous to me. 

But if anybody finds a protein supplement that does not contain any toxic substances please let me know.  I have been searching but no luck yet.

Check out Bodylogix Natural Whey.  I've tried many different types, but after reading what's in them I decided to try something more natural.  Found this stuff at Walgreen's after much looking with no success, and it's actually pretty cheap.  Doubt I'll use anything else now!

I haven't needed protein supplements because I get enough protein from my normal diet but I have been looking for something to supplement when I'm in the mountains or somewhere I can get food, and sometimes you just don't feel like eating whole food at the moment but it's time.

I am about to go to guide school so I have been looking for something for meal replacement since their meal schedule is not exactly the same as mine.

So I called bodybuilding.com and asked them what the cleanest protein powder on the market is and they said Dymatize ISO 100.  And it also has per seving 25 grams of protein and only .5g of fat and less than a gram of sugar.  So Im about to get a tub of that.

I use the wilderness athlete recovery shake/ meal replacement.. Don't wake up as sore. Awesome products. I use most of them.. Cheaper than gnc!

Hycntryhtr said:
I use the wilderness athlete recovery shake/ meal replacement.. Don't wake up as sore. Awesome products. I use most of them.. Cheaper than gnc!

i just ordered there joint health hoping it works as good as the rest have you tried the green infusion

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back