Wildfires & hunting grounds

airmanharv08

Jan 4, 2013
This past weekend I sent out a few game cameras at the location I love to hunt. After getting off the mountain and driving roughly an 1.5 hours away, noticed smoke coming off the opposite side of the mountain. My hunting location is on the east side of the Chuska Mtns here in NM and now it has become the latest wildfire location with zero percentage containment.
Have any of you hunters experienced this type of situation? From my personal research the fire actually might miss the location I hunt, only time will tell if I still have a hunting location and/or game cameras.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S3475367.shtml?cat=525#.U59JbkDHNnl
http://www.navajotimes.com/news/2014/0614/061414fire.php#.U59JeUDHNnk

Saw that this morn,as the wind picked up here to 45 w/G to 55,6% Hum.

I'm just a couple hundred mi. south of it. 

The last 2 yrs we have had 2 monsters burn nearby.White Mtn's in AZ(burn't my NMdraw unit in spots),and the Whitewater Baldy fire. These fires did massive damage,besides almost a million acres in the 2 states. Yeah some spots look good as far as feed goes, but some spots won't grow for many years,burned too hot. The rest of the Gila parts are recovering but tree cover is gone on alot of acres.
Praying for monsoons....10% chance soon,but lot's of dry lightning.

fires are part of the game it can make it tough if it were me id try to go get my cameras lol. good luck i hope it misses your spot

I recall the White-Baldy Fire, both separate fires then became one, I have hunted the Gila since 2010, and haven't been back to check the location I love hunting.

From the latest data, I was able to determine 1 camera made it, while the other was in the outer edge of the fire, if it survived some interesting pictures to come. To top it off, the hunting area, my "honey hole" didn't get touched at all! Relieved on some part.

as much as nobody wants there area to burn , fire is actually good for the hunting in an area, the elk and deer will move into those areas big time for the next few years cause of the extra food , without the tree cover grass grows better and its all fresh green stuff. my area burned about 10 years ago and the elk population in the area doubled for a few years and the antler size on the deer and elk increased from the better feed .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back