Will Bulls sound like cows?

kikinhorse

Jan 23, 2013
The bull I harvested this year amazed me by coming in sounding just like a Hoochie Mama. My quess is, wolves caused it. Three days before this the bulls were going crazy with bugles. Then it instantly stopped. I would bugle and the wolves would answer. So if you hear what you think is a cow hold off until you see it , to make sure.

I was doing some blind calling last year and after about half hour I heard a cow mew about 40 yards away. I was surprised to see that it was a lone bull coming in. So yes, bulls do make cow sounds.

Normal elk chatter is pretty much all with the same sounds, you will here bulls mew and cows bugle. I have a cow bugle at me because she was very frustrated when she could not find me.

I have shot or guided more than few bulls cow talking to me.  Seems to be morein the pre rut though.  I've also called in a few bulls by barking back at them when things haven't gone as planned.  Usually it tends to be a bigger bull that seems a little upset with another elk barking at them

Good question,  when bulls use cow calls it could be to get a feel what's out there.  I have experienced several bulls who sound like cows,  they all speak Elk.

I know bulls can make a cow sound but I remember reading that cows cannot make a bugle.  I know cows can sure bark and it can sometimes be drawn out a bit that might sound a little like a bugle but has anyone actually see a cow doing a full fledged bugle?  I've just never heard of anyone that has had a cow bugle at them or around them.  Just curious.

COLOelkman said:
I know bulls can make a cow sound but I remember reading that cows cannot make a bugle.  I know cows can sure bark and it can sometimes be drawn out a bit that might sound a little like a bugle but has anyone actually see a cow doing a full fledged bugle?  I've just never heard of anyone that has had a cow bugle at them or around them.  Just curious.
Yes, once. I was out scouting in early July a few years ago. We came up on a small herd. I started playing with a cow call. One cow standing on a finger ridge Bulged at us. At first, I didn't know what to think. I later found out that cows bugle quite often.

I think i also seen video of cows bulging. might be able to find something on youtube .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back