Will Bulls sound like cows?

kikinhorse

Jan 23, 2013
The bull I harvested this year amazed me by coming in sounding just like a Hoochie Mama. My quess is, wolves caused it. Three days before this the bulls were going crazy with bugles. Then it instantly stopped. I would bugle and the wolves would answer. So if you hear what you think is a cow hold off until you see it , to make sure.

DSmitty

Jan 13, 2013
I was doing some blind calling last year and after about half hour I heard a cow mew about 40 yards away. I was surprised to see that it was a lone bull coming in. So yes, bulls do make cow sounds.

Fullabull

Jan 2, 2013
Normal elk chatter is pretty much all with the same sounds, you will here bulls mew and cows bugle. I have a cow bugle at me because she was very frustrated when she could not find me.

huntelk1

Jan 2, 2013
I have shot or guided more than few bulls cow talking to me.  Seems to be morein the pre rut though.  I've also called in a few bulls by barking back at them when things haven't gone as planned.  Usually it tends to be a bigger bull that seems a little upset with another elk barking at them

WardDawg7

Jan 27, 2013
Good question,  when bulls use cow calls it could be to get a feel what's out there.  I have experienced several bulls who sound like cows,  they all speak Elk.

COLOelkman

Dec 28, 2012
I know bulls can make a cow sound but I remember reading that cows cannot make a bugle.  I know cows can sure bark and it can sometimes be drawn out a bit that might sound a little like a bugle but has anyone actually see a cow doing a full fledged bugle?  I've just never heard of anyone that has had a cow bugle at them or around them.  Just curious.

Theelkhunter

Jan 7, 2013
COLOelkman said:
I know bulls can make a cow sound but I remember reading that cows cannot make a bugle.  I know cows can sure bark and it can sometimes be drawn out a bit that might sound a little like a bugle but has anyone actually see a cow doing a full fledged bugle?  I've just never heard of anyone that has had a cow bugle at them or around them.  Just curious.
Yes, once. I was out scouting in early July a few years ago. We came up on a small herd. I started playing with a cow call. One cow standing on a finger ridge Bulged at us. At first, I didn't know what to think. I later found out that cows bugle quite often.

I think i also seen video of cows bulging. might be able to find something on youtube .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts