Wind Checker

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
What you have found as the "best" method for wind detection--corn starch, "smoke" in a bottle, feather on your bow, milkweed pods from a canister, chilling breeze on the back of your neck or the ultimate checker, elk busting out of a setup?  I have been trying/using most of these and still searching for the ideal option.

My best wind checking methods are. 1) in my general experience wind blows up hill in the morning and down hill in the evening. 2) I like the "smoke" in a bottle when the wind feels like it is swirling or I'm sneaking in one elk that don't know I'm there. and 3) if I'm in the open area hunting deer or antelope I will watch birds that are hovering, whichever way they are facing is the way the wind is blowing (usually) in the open country.

I have used the corn starch method mostly; however, I've used cow in estrus scent for a windicator as well. Serves a dual purpose I guess. I've used the old "Native American" method by pulling up dry grass and letting it blow in the wind..... Not sure what the "best" method is, but these have worked for me so far.

I've used the powder in a bottle and it's OK but I liked the feathers that I've not been able to find for several years now.  The powder dissipates very quickly so you can tell the wind immediately around you but if you have the feathers, you can see if they drift if the wind happens to be going in a different direction as it gets further from where you are standing.  The feathers are basically just down so if you can find some very fine down, that is what I prefer.

the smoke in the bottle is the way to go...of course you want to use the thermal patterns when trying to spot animals, but when within a hundred yards or so then constant use of the smoke in a bottle is a necessity!

The primos wind checker works, I like how long you can follow the powder for and how long it lasts. I use it every time I got hunting.

I found some milkweed pods and have collected a film canister to try next year.  Others have said that watching it float will give you that sense of what the wind is doing 20-30 yards away and not just what is happening immediately next to you.

You all may laugh, but last year while at my grandsons birthday party, my daughter bought all the kids those little bottles of bubbles, as I sat and watched the kids blow bubbles i noticed that they would float with the wind for a long ways, so I had to try it, I have since added a little doe or cow estrus scent to them and for .49 cents it works great,

Smoke in a bottle here also.  Although I ran out on a ten day hunt this season, ended up tying floss to my stab.  The floss seemed to pick up the wind quite well.

AZguide, the bubbles are a good idea.

Have been using Smoke in a bottle but I might have to start taking a bottle of bubbles along. Had not thought of that before.

Smoke in a bottle for me... though bubbles would certainly accurate and provide for some entertainment at the same time.  My only fear would be my hunting partner getting distracted by trying to pop them!

I use smoke in a bottle but i also have a feather or piece of string attached to my bow just in case i cant get to my smoke in a bottle or if some reason i go to reach for my bottle and its gone.

My lick I would blow bubbles to check the wind, call a monster bull in got to full draw and have one of them bubbles fly back into my face and pop ruining my shot opportunity LOL. I use smoke in a bottle and have also use dust when I forget it  ;D

Smoke in a bottle for most checks, but I have also added a frayed piece of yarn to the end of my stabilizer for when I get close and I want to know what direction or speed the wind is.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back