Wolves and seeing elk

troyc

Jan 2, 2013
So I scouted my spot in oregon a couple weekends ago and ran into wolves.  They looked to have been there a while based on all the hair filled scat I saw.  I heard them every night and saw them the last night.

Last year I heard them a couple times throughout the seaton in this same area and still saw more elk that I had in many years.

Just wondering how bad this is going to effect the area.  I have heard that wolf presence tends to keep elk out of an area and thought I would see if any of you have experienced this in the past.

Thanks for the input in advance.

By the way I did see some bulls but not nearly as many cows as during the season last year.  THis might be due to timing (before the run vs in the middle of the rut) but I am worried it might be due to other influences.

Meat,

We saw our first wolves in my hunting area in 2000. I would say elk hunting peaked about that time in that area as well. Since then, the elk numbers have plummeted. They haven't been wiped out, but the population of elk is MUCH lower now. Where we used to see herds of 50-80 cows/calves in the spring, we are lucky to see 10-12 total. The biggest effect it has had on hunting for us, has been the lack of vocalizations. The elk go very quiet when there are wolves nearby. The elk are still there (fewer of them), but it's difficult to get them to respond to calls like they used to.

Good luck, I hope Oregon jumps ahead and is able to manage the wolves and their effects sooner than Idaho did...

Meat,
  I'd have to second Corey's assessment.  We have been hunting with wolves in the vicinity for many years here in NW Wyoming.  When they are around the elk go mute.  They still frequent the wallows and timber pockets they always have, but tend to stay away from the open parks and feeding areas.  You almost have to take a white tail hunter's mindset to elk country when the wolves are around.

Numbers are going to drop dramatically. In Yellowstone park, 1994; the elk herd was populated at 19,045.  This was the year preceding wolf introduction.  The population has dropped by the THOUSANDS every consecutive year up to the 2012 count of 3,915 elk.  These are numbers provided by the U.S. fish and wildlife service.  I have wolves in my hunting area as well as griz and black bears and mountain lion.  My herd survives but moves a lot and can be silent when the non-human pressure is in town.  The game isn't over, but it is about to move from checkers to chess.  Good luck.

Last year was the first time we had cut into wolves while elk hunting. They would never get close enough to make an effort with a pistol but they sure let us know they were there. Showed up right in the middle of four bulls bugling to my cow calls late one morning and the second time was an evening hunt while I was moving in on a huge heard bull who was hemmed up with cows. As soon as the wolves cut loose the elk go silent.

Wolves are not abundant in Oregon, unlike Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming.  I live in thick timber country of western Montana, where large herds of elk are not often seen, but I think the elk population is down here.  I blame wolves, cougars, bears with cougars being the most efficient killer and most numbers of the three predators, and bears having the most impact on elk calves.  That being said, twenty five years of liberal cow elk quotas in region 2, and Idaho's Lolo Zone, has been harder on elk populations than predators.  Montana Fish & Game commission will consider reducing Montana's 10 week big game hunting seasons, by 2 weeks, setting up either(bow) or (rifle) seasons, and some other looney tunes ideas, because they are afraid hunters are killing too many elk and deer - and there won't be enough left for the predators. Yet the Fish &Game homepage advertise that in "85% of the hunting areas big game numbers are at or above management objectives" so go figure.  Evidently Montana Fish and game thinks only 15% of Montana hunting grounds are lacking game.  Montana will offer up to 5 wolf tags per hunter this fall....Its hard enough to find and shoot one,  So "Wolves and Seeing Elk" is kind of an oxymoron in Montana unless some of that 15% hunting ground happens to be where you are hunting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back