Would you Rather

HuntinKyhl

Dec 28, 2012
Would you rather shoot a 250 inch bull yourself, or help one of your buddies shoot a 350 inch bull.  You can only pick one for this season.

For some this is a question of inches, for others it's a question of pulling the trigger or not.  So what would you do?

I would rather help a friend get a 350 bull.  Not for the inches, but there's just something about hunting/chasing monster bulls.  They get that big for a reason.  I'm not saying it's easy to kill a 250 bull, but typically the work, effort, scouting, highs and lows that come with holding out for a big boy make it that much sweeter when you put it all together.  My buddy and I have always hunted as a team.  It doesn't matter who pulls the trigger we "both" got him.

I would like to help someone else get one. Also depends on the friend and how dedicated he is of coarse. But thats getting into too much detail over a hypothetical. It would be interesting to compare this thread to another I remember posting on........Most hunters here would never take someone else here to their honey hole. Most of which I am sure would rather pull the trigger. Could get interesting..

depends on the friend,I would pass on a 250 bull to help some take a 200 bull.I have taken many 225 to 250 bulls and now one this size is just for meat that i dont need as much any more since the kids are grown.I get a great thrill from helping some one set up and take any elk.kids, women and new hunters are my favorite to take out.Its cool to see them take any elk even a cow.Dont get me wrong I love to hunt,just now im one of those horn hunters some hate. ;)

I would film my buddy get up at 4am, walk miles up and down ridges, pass up cows abd other bulls, locate that bull, call him in to 6 yards, hear him scream at us, watch the arrow fly and pass through that 350 monster bull, watch him take off, stumble and finally fall to the ground.

Now that would be something. God willing, something like that scenario will happen this year.

Rudy

At this point I don't have a hunting partner that I would be willing to do that for.  However, I would love to help my Dad or my Son if it were an option.  Dad is slowing down, and my son just hasn't got the fever.........yet. ;D  I am sure it will kick in a few years down the road.  Just responding to this make me realize I need a good hunting partner :(  Just seems out of my group of friends I can't find anyone willing to due what it takes to be serious.

I could care less if it is a 350" bull, I am just as happy helping a friend get a Bull of any size, as I am getting one myself.
For me it is a lot more about the hunt with a good friend then the size.

Kevin

That's a hard one....I've taken 3 first time elk hunters out hunting the last 4 years and helped 2 of them get their first bulls.  This year a buddy and I plan to take another first timer out, and we'll work hard to get him a bull.  But with me having a week a year to hunt elk and the 365 day a yr focus, hard work and passion I put into the pursuit, I'd be reluctant to say I'm not focused on and dream about punching my own tag. 

I guess I'll leave it at a successful hunt this year will be punching at least one tag for our group, and if its mine I'll be exstatic just as I would be if its one of my buddies.

Unless it was a limited draw unit and it was one of my kids who drew and I didn't.  If I am in the mountains, I am going to be hunting.
I have to pay for my license, pay for my fair share of the fuel to get there. I have to do all my planning,  get physically fit and buy all my gear. It would have to be a very unique situation for me to be solely a guide if I have a tag.
I would help anyone in our group to be successful, even if I wasn't and pack out an elk out for them, but I am still going to hunt hardest for myself.

Id rather shoot one myself.  My hunting partner lives in Montana and I live in PA.  He can get a bull without me, but I only get a few days a year in the mountains.

No doubt, help a buddy! Heck, help anybody! I would think that who ever you call in a 350" bull for would be your buddy when its over anyway. With that said, I can honestly say that the size of the trophy means very little to me. It is the hunt that took place to get that bull and also the hunts that ended without tagging a bull that make each elk a trophy. I can say that my highest scoring trophies on the wall aren't necessarily my best trophies I've taken. To me it's the hunt that is the trophy. The antlers are a just a friendly reminder!!

My buddy and I hunt together and every elk/deer/antelope/bear/fox/coyote/gopher we kill is "our" kill. So I would definately be willing to help him get a 350 any day or even a cow. On the other hand I have a buddy that everything we kill together is "his" kill or his amazingness. I actually stopped hunting with him and we are just friends now and I would rather take the 250 for myself. Besides this one buddy I would rather help someone else. The memories associated with any animal harvested are priceless to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back