wrench in the plans but hitting the woods tomorrow

Montana_BackCountry

Jan 9, 2013
So turns out my kids both came down with "hand foot and mouth disease" which is a pretty awful affliction.  Why do I share this you may ask?  because it occurred the same week as my week-long hunt with my father.  Needless to say I've been home with them for the previous 5 days and they appear to be on the mend. 

Goes to show you a man plans and god laughs.  As much as I love elk hunting, I love those boys more and had to prioritize.  Still have about 5 days to be out in the field, and I get to go out knowing those two boys are feeling a heck of a lot better and their mother isn't stressed to the max.  I know a man isn't supposed to think about cashing in Karma, but how bout if he cashes out to help his old man fill his tag?  I guess we'll see.

just as well this past weekend sucked, 2 and 1/2 foot snow drifts in my part of montana and 27 deg for a high last friday. you didnt miss nothing but some misery. Looking a little better this week .

hey man, ignore my pm.  I just read your post.  Glad your little ones are feeling better.  Good luck if you can get back out.

Made it back out for a four day hunt, but the elk had moved out of the country and were definitely on the back end of the rut.  We spotted a lone bull at about 3 miles and trecked over but couldn't get close to him.  He kept on moving ahead and dropped into thick timber.  Had a different bull bugle at us several times before sun-up but when we closed the gap at all he would go silent and disappear.  Hard going trip this time.  Bulls seemed to be "wised up" to the presence of hunters and whipped on from fighting other bulls.  It's my oldest son's b-day this weekend (the 12th) so sticking close to home but the 18th thru 20th I'm going back out for the closing weekend of the season to try again in the lower foothills below where I typically hunt.  It'll be my birthday the the 20th so I'm hoping it counts for some luck.  Betting I'll need it.  I figure the elk should be grouping back up and feeding post-rut so if I can just find the herd down in the grassy areas, chances of getting in might be good.  Big country and lots of room to hide out there though.  We'll see.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back