Wyoming draw

sug431

Jan 7, 2019
!'st time posting. My Brother an I have 7 pp for wyoming. I was hoping to do a drop camp, but I see you can not do that in wyoming because of the wilderness rule.Outfitters want a pretty penny to pack you in .So now i am stuck between a rock an a hard place.Do I burn these 7 pp on a general tag, or save enough money for the next 2 years to hire a outfitter. At that point i will have 9pp.Just wondering what someone else think's.

Just throwing this out there, you can do a drop camp if you want, it just can?t be in a wilderness area.

Derek is right, you can still go on any NF all by yourself.

Here's an idea for you and your brother.

Find a WY unit that it takes 6-7 PPs. One of you apply for a Any Elk tag in that unit, the other apply for a RP Cow/calf tag.

You both have a tag, and then next year do the same except reverse.

You'll get to hunt WY 2 years in a row.

Good luck!

Derek and Brad both made good points. 

You guys definitely have enough points to draw a good unit in WY.
I?d be cashing in this year or doing something like Brad said with cow/calf tags this year and then cashing in on the tag next year. 

Good luck!

Thanks guys for your input,I think today I will call the Wyoming outfitters guide association an ask if they have any one that does a drop camp outside of the wilderness area. Depending on what they say. I will move to step two.If my draw my first pick we will use our PP. I've heard second picks in the Wyoming draw usually don't come about, not sure how true that is. My first pick for the last 7 years has been a pp,my second pick for the last 7 years has been a general license,an i have not drawn one yet.

Welcome sug431.  As the guys have said, as a non-resident, you can hunt anywhere in the state without a guide (or resident guide) except in the federally designated wilderness areas. 

I'd follow cnelk's advice and hunt back to back years.  Take a look at the drawing odds on the WY G&F website.  Second choices are hard to draw, seem to be mostly type 4 (full price/antlerless) tags.  I don't believe it's possible for a non-res to draw a General tag as a second choice anymore - it's only about a 10-15% chance in the random draw if you put it in as your first choice.

Ok ,for the last 7 years I have been putting as a group for my brother an I,so if we draw we both get a license. With what cnelk is saying, do we go into the draw as individuals.Not sure if i understand how that works.If we both draw our first choice, we will use our pp.How are we going to draw next year. NR has a slim chance of drawing there second choice. Sorry to be so long winded.

Let me see if I can explain it a bit better...

Brother 1 - Applies for Unit X - Any Elk tag - Choice 1

Brother 2 - Applies for Same Unit X - Reduced Price Cow/Calf tag - Choice 1

Brother 2 - Applies for Unit X - Any Elk tag - Choice 1

Brother 1 - Applies for Same Unit X - Reduced Price Cow/Calf tag - Choice 1

The Regular Draw and the Reduced Price Cow/Calf Draw are two different draws.
No pref points needed for the RP cow/calf.

So one brother will burn his points in 2019, the other brother will burn his points in 2020.

AND YOU GET TO HUNT WYOMING 2 YEARS IN A ROW

Also: Some of the most common tags

Type 1 tag -  full price - means you can hunt hunt rifle season and archery season with a Archery License - check Regs for unit specifics as some differ

Type 9 tag - Full price - is archery only

Type 4 tag - Full price - cow tag

Type 6 tag - Reduced Price - Cow/calf tag

Then there is the Special Draw. Much higher cost, with a little better draw odds.
You can do a Type 1 Special, Type 4 Special, Type 9 Special

There are other 'Types' of licenses, but these are the most common.

Good luck

Thanks cnelk for breaking it down for me. Now I just have to decide on a unit. I was told by the Wyoming game an fish department that if you got your first choice,they take your pp.

sug431- That is true for the for the regular draw.  The reduced price cow/calf draw does not use preference points. 

Recommend you download the elk drawing odds from the G&F website and highlight all of the areas that you could draw with your 7 points (ie. any area with 100% first choice success odds with 7 points).  Then you'll need to check those areas against public access, reduced price cow/calf drawing odds, and so on...  You have until the end of May now to decide.  Deadline used to be Jan. 31 for non-res.

The Jan 31 deadline is still in effect for NonRes in 2019.

The new dates are proposed to change in 2020 - which also includes draw results for elk will be in May, not Feb

Damn... Thanks for the backup.  I was looking at the wrong table. 

Sorry sug - You've got homework to do now if you're going to hunt in 2019.  Non-res apps are due 1/31.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back