Wyoming non-res antelope questions..

atfrith

May 16, 2014
Hey guys, I\'ve been trying to make sense of Wyoming\'s game and fish website and the best ways to do a DIY antelope hunt, I think I\'m more confused now than when I started.

I\'m not after antlers (though I\'m not opposed either), and simply would like to try out a DIY antelope hunt because it looks like a ton of fun and I haven\'t shot an antelope since I was 14 with my grandfather. With the research I\'ve done online I keep reading that there are ample leftover doe tag opportunities but I can\'t seem to make heads or tails of their season structure (hunt types? 0,1,2,6 ,7, etc). I\'d like to get a head of the game and apply for something and not need to rely on whatever ends up on the leftover list. When looking at the draw odds for last year though, I hardly see any units at all that had any surplus in tags. Which brings up another question, should I be looking at the \"Random draw\" or the \"doe/fawn\"? From what I gather, the random draw is any antelope correct? But if I simply want a doe would I have better odds at applying for a doe/fawn tag? Is adding any sort of deer tag to the mix an option? Is there a general section of the state I should be concentrating on?

I\'ve only ever hunted my home state of Colorado so diving into another states rules and regs has been a humbling experience. I guess I\'m just hoping for a crash course in Wyoming Antelope 101. Even if it doesn\'t end up being this year, I\'d like to start the process of making this an annual or biannual hunt. I\'d really like to broaden my horizons and experience other types of hunting and be able to share some different game meat with friends/family.

Anthony
All reduced price licenses have a type 6, 7 or 8 designation.

The type number is the key to determine if a license is reduced price or full price. If it is type 6, 7 or 8, it is reduced price. Any other type number indicates that it is a full price license. You do not have to have a full price license to apply for a reduced price license.

Im guessing you dont have any PPs for antelope?
If not, just apply for the RP doe/fawn tag and you\'ll be set, or wait for leftovers

More Q & A:

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elsapplication/docs/faq.htm#Q10\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elsapplication/docs/faq.htm#Q10</a><!-- m -->

Q: What is the difference between a full price special elk, deer or antelope license and a regular full price license?

A: By paying the additional $480.00 for elk or $240.00 for deer and/or antelope, the applicant can participate in a separate random drawing. Wyoming statute allocates 40 percent of the available nonresident elk, 40 percent of the available nonresident antelope and 40 percent of the available nonresident deer licenses to applicants who pay the higher price. The expectation behind this is to increase drawing odds due to fewer applicants paying the higher price. However, this is not always the case. To evaluate drawing odds from the previous year, an applicant can purchase a demand index summary or view the information free on our website. Odds can vary substantially year to year. There is no guarantee of success in the drawing for special licenses.

Thanks Brad that helps. And you are correct, no preference points for me.

I think I found a couple units that I might be able to draw a doe tag without any preference points. Guess we\'ll find out!

i hear your pain anthony. i look at several states an usually end up deciding its not worth the hassle. i have more questions when i get done than when i start.

Anthony

Here are the proposed season dates in \'draft\' form [which probably means they are set]

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Get-Involved/Public-Meetings\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Get-Involved/Public-Meetings</a><!-- m -->

I\'m glad you posted this! I\'m not sure what I was looking at, but I thought they had already set these dates, I must have been looking at last years.

On the draw odds/results reports.... Say the quota is listed at 100 and the 1st choice applicants are 120, 2nd choice 50... Does that mean 0 people in that 2nd choice category drew that tag like it would in CO?

That would be my guess.
But it all changes year to year, people try different units all the time

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back