Wyoming......

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
I am planning my trip to SW WY next year for antelope and elk.

I was wondering if anyone who lives there, has hunted there, or has travelled through there could recommend "must see" sites or good local food joints.
I'm a foodie and love dives and mom & pops places.

I'll be entering WY on I80 and will be cutting NW up 191 at Rock Springs.

I know it's early, but I am losing my mind now waiting for elk season, so I may as well start my plans for next year.  :upthumb:

Not any help right now but I'll be making that exact trip in about 43 days. I'll let you know what I find.

The Uinta range south of rock springs has a good hefty elk herd, my family has hunted there for years. Kemmerer has good antelope all the way around

Didn't get to try too many places on the way or while there but 3 did stand out....

The Chill Grill in Rock Springs on 191, pretty good burgers and home style fries.

Daniel Junction in Daniel, just a cool store, good gifts, bow shop, coffee, food.

Branding Iron Cafe in Bondurant. Dave is an awesome chef and very personable, he made sure everything was cooked correct and good. 5 stars all the way on anything he cooks.

sjl2012 said:
Didn't get to try too many places on the way or while there but 3 did stand out....

The Chill Grill in Rock Springs on 191, pretty good burgers and home style fries.

Daniel Junction in Daniel, just a cool store, good gifts, bow shop, coffee, food.

Branding Iron Cafe in Bondurant. Dave is an awesome chef and very personable, he made sure everything was cooked correct and good. 5 stars all the way on anything he cooks.

How did the hunt turn out?  There are some pretty awesome antelope in that area as well

We saw a ton of Antelope up there. Went 2 for 3 on 6 pt bulls. We drove a lot, some days 80+ miles one way, but we were in elk every day. We didn't need to drive that far but a lot of it was scouting for future trips. There were a lot of people in certain areas and others were totally empty. Can't wait to go back.

sjl2012 said:
We saw a ton of Antelope up there. Went 2 for 3 on 6 pt bulls. We drove a lot, some days 80+ miles one way, but we were in elk every day. We didn't need to drive that far but a lot of it was scouting for future trips. There were a lot of people in certain areas and others were totally empty. Can't wait to go back.

You certainly know how to put some animals down. 
How did your NM hunt go? Will you try to line up a tag for your regular place this year?

NM Unit 9 is not a friend of mine.... That's probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had hunting NM. In one afternoon I saw 13 other people. I decided to hunt a local BLM wilderness one afternoon, walked in 3 miles to scout a water hole only to have 3 ATV's ride 2 miles in from the opposite side past the "no motorized vehicle" sign. I could go on but it would be complaining, 8 days and only had a spike in range.

I still have a mule deer tag in a couple weeks I'm going to try to fill. I'm not too sure what to expect out of it but I'm going to throw a couple of weekends at it and see if I can get a good stalk or two in.

I'm not sure how I'm going to approach NM this year but I definitely want to be back in that area, just depends on the luck and the finances. I'm going to try to pull 2 elk tags again this year one way or another, that part of only working 5 days in September is pretty contagious....

sjl2012 said:
NM Unit 9 is not a friend of mine.... That's probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had hunting NM. In one afternoon I saw 13 other people. I decided to hunt a local BLM wilderness one afternoon, walked in 3 miles to scout a water hole only to have 3 ATV's ride 2 miles in from the opposite side past the "no motorized vehicle" sign. I could go on but it would be complaining, 8 days and only had a spike in range.

I still have a mule deer tag in a couple weeks I'm going to try to fill. I'm not too sure what to expect out of it but I'm going to throw a couple of weekends at it and see if I can get a good stalk or two in.

I'm not sure how I'm going to approach NM this year but I definitely want to be back in that area, just depends on the luck and the finances. I'm going to try to pull 2 elk tags again this year one way or another, that part of only working 5 days in September is pretty contagious....

Well I?ve been throwing it out there and no one has taken it yet...
I?ve got 4 Wyoming PPs and I?m going for a general tag.  So I should have enough to get someone else a tag if they want....

I got 2 pots and that was enough to draw the unit I?m looking at, this year. Hope the ?creep? doesn?t get me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back