Yellow Jackets

n_idaho

Jan 21, 2013
As a lot of you have probably noticed, the bees are awful in Idaho this year.  Does anyone have a trick for keeping them away when you're field dressing your animals?  I usually practice the zen method, and just try to ignore them, but there are a real pile of them this year. 

I'm allergic to them so I've been wondering this too.  All I've been able to find is chili powder.  Around eyes, nose, mouth, butt then after you start quartering put it on the meat.  I hope I get to try it this year.  This is the only thing I've seen so far that people swear but.  good luck

I've heard black pepper too, but that doesn'tseem practical in a field dressing scenario.  Maybe when the meat is hanging, but that's still a lot of pepper. 

One thing I have done for a few years when the Bees and Yellow Jackets are bad is to Use one of those bee pheromone packs (used in the yellow cylindrical bee catchers).  I dump the entire pack about 20-30 feet away on a tree limb.  Does not keep all of them away but it does occupy a significant amount that would otherwise be pestering me.
I also keep my Epi Pen in my pack at all times.

They have really been swarming the water holes , getting in the truck and even swarming to vegetation that I have walked on or driven on . First light to last .....Not  sure what to do but I do know it is a problem . We need a freeze or two !

I too am having the same problem here in idaho. Seems like even the damp ground is attracting them by the hundreds.  I have ran into a lot of yellow jacket nests in old logs and i have even come across three hornet nests.  So im praying that when i do kill an elk he doesnt land on or near any nests.

I have heard of a few of these ideas but have never tried them. Another that I have heard of is to spray the meat down with PAM cooking spray. I guess they don't like the oil. That idea sounds like the easiest to do as you could carry a can or two around with your game bags. I am going to try this on some meat in my backyard and see if it works. I will report back either way.

The oil works. I put two pieces of lunch meat in my back yard. One was sprayed with an aerosol cooking oil. The oiled one is still there and the other has been almost completely eaten. They sat out for about 3 hours. The bees would hover over the oily one and I saw a couple trying to land on it but they wouldn't touch it. They are still attracted to it though.

I didn't try using any of the other methods like pepper because I think it would be a lot more expensive and harder to apply.

Wait til the sun goes down. Yellow jackets gotta sleep to.
I'm packing Pam this year as well. Great idea.

We are going to try the pam idea.

Whatever you try, bring some Benadryl just in case someone in your party is allergic and does not know it. 

great to hear that the pam has some effectiveness.  i'll throw a couple bottles in the pack kit for sure. 

It was crazy this year.  I spent most my time in 4a and couldn't believe the yellow jackets.  I actually stepped over a deadfall into a nest and it took me a couple counts to realize what was going on before I did my best yogi bear impression.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back