your choice

bnsafe

Mar 2, 2014
what would you guys rather do,
1. kill a elk every year
2. kill a different big game species yearly

Hmmmm...I would say killing an elk every year would be close to the top of the list, but I would consider killing a bull moose every year as well. Those are tasty critters! I would put them about dead even at the top. Unfortunately, I don\'t have the funds to hunt moose, especially every year, so I wouldn\'t complain about taking an elk every year :mrgreen:

wow, im surprised. im in the minority. i have a goal of killing wt, mulie, bear, elk, an antelope. an if another critter creeps into the list so be it. ive got three of em so will focus on the other two. i just like hunting diff terrain types for diff animals. that may be because i grew up hunting the same tree stands for wt every year so feel an itch

I don\'t think picking #1 means we don\'t enjoy, or haven\'t killed many other animals.

However, the questions was .....what would you rather do?

I love elk hunting, but if it were my choice I would go with 2.
There are lots of animals I know that I\'ll never get a chance to hunt, they are just priced out of range for me.
But if money were not a consideration I would love to hunt many other species and continents.
For now I consider myself to be very fortunate to live in an area that has 10 species that I can apply for and surrounding areas that I can venture to and not break the bank.

#2 on the list seems so hypothetical to me it\'s difficult to answer the question so here comes the hypothetical answer. #2 first until that is accomplished, then run out the rest of my days with #!

#2 for sure. It doesn\'t say that I can\'t go elk hunting, so I\'ll still go and get skunked - that\'s ok. And then I\'ll hunt caribou and moose and grizz and dall sheep! Yea, 2 for sure.

Confusing question. Why can\'t you hunt other animals, and still kill an elk every year?

still hunter, i mainly archery hunt so time is pretty limited to september for mulies, antelope, an elk. for example, i killed my first elk last year, i have never taken a mulie, so this year im gonna focus on mulies in hopes of killing one. certainly not saying you can hunt elk to or even at the same time. but if you can only focus on one animal at a time would you rather focus on elk every year or a diff animal every year for diff challenges, terrains, etc.

I don\'t get the whole month of Sept like you bow hunters do. I hunt elk in ML season for 9 days, and hunt mulies in rifle season with the muzzy for both hunts. You could do the same.

You know, I may be losing the edge, but I don\'t really have the desire to kill \"one of everything\".

I\'ve been lucky ... and have a modest and common variety of big game stacked-up. Yet, the only real reason I want to hunt something other than elk is because I\'d like to see some new country, or hunt in a different style.

I really don\'t feel that I have to have a musk-ox or whatever just to complete a list or collection.

As far as non-elk species that I\'d like to chase, I\'d include:

1. I want at least one more caribou. They are a blast to hunt, and I want to see AK again, and this time, a different part.

2. I\'d like to go DIY moose hunting in AK before I get too old. The desire to actually kill a moose on that trip is not the main reason I want to go, though.

3. Pronghorn ... always fun with a rifle, these are the animals that I enjoy to hunt with others, as a social deal But this year, I\'m going with a bow, S&S.

4. Whitetail ... Rifle, open country whitetail seems more fun to me than archery treestand hunting. I\'ll do this again, maybe this year, in Nebraska.

5. Another black bear might be nice to fill a May/June trip, but it\'s pretty low on the list of May/June priorities. A DIY trip to AK would work.

6. I put in for moose, sheep, bison, and goat in WY ... all long-shots to draw. I\'ll go if drawn, of course, but I\'ll be a little upset that it interferes with elk.

7. Coyotes ... no great desire, and I\'d only go if I was real bored in the winter -- which isn\'t a big stretch!

8. Africa ... a friend went there and had a great time. I can see that it would be enjoyable ... who doesn\'t like hunting game-rich areas and drinking good South African wine? But I don\'t care about collecting heads. If I went, it would be not to collect 5 or 8 species to collect dust in my living room, but to hunt and kill one big specimen chosen before I go ... Kudu or eland, most likely. If I go, it will be twenty years from now.

-----

I\'ve been on a guided hunt before, and I have no desire to do that again. I\'d rather strike out on my own than hunt with a guide. This makes the less-expensive moose trips in Canada (compared to DIY in AK) a dilemma for me. But I have no desire to be a trigger-man.

Of all on the list, killing an elk from the ground (sorry, Swede!) with an arrow is BY FAR the goal that is way out in front of the others.

It\'s rare in life to find something you love to do so much, that you lose interest in everything else. I was beyond words when I saw my first elk that my dad shot. Then when I shot my own I knew I had found what I wanted to do with my hunting life. I have never swayed from those feelings, and have never lost one bit of passion for elk hunting.

To not hunt elk every year would be like not breathing. Not going to happen. ;)

sounds like a great list deertick. i would love to hunt alaska someday. i doubt i ever will. but it would be a thrill for sure.

Here\'s the deal ... I like to hunt, and I like to explore new country, so hunting other creatures seems to be a natural \"like\" for me.

But I really don\'t care a whole lot about actually killing things, which is why I\'m not planning guided trips. If I go somewhere else for something else, it\'s for the experience, the challenge, the chance to see new country and new animals ... and killing things is not really a big part of that.

In short, I don\'t have a \"hit list\" of \"must-have\" animals that has to grace my living room walls.

I DO have a list of places I want to go, and combing that with hunting seems only natural.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back