Your favorite wild game meals!

Ivar88

Aug 8, 2017
Tonight I?m putting together a shepherds pie made with mule deer burger from a beautiful New Mexico deer my wife shot last year. It had me thinking about all of my favorite meals that I have put together from different animals that we have harvested:

NM Mule deer shepherds pie (desert mule deer tastes GREAT with mushroom sauce)
ND whitetail pot roast
Applewood Smoked mallard (whole duck)
Shredded goose enchiladas with roasted hatch green chili?s
Pickled norther pike
Smoked teal jalape?o poppers
Barbary sheep green chili stew

I?ve yet to take an elk, but hopefully I can reattack this thread in the fall. What kinds of meals do you folks put together that I can steal a recipe for?  :mrgreen:

We love:

Elk/deer tacos/burritos
Elk/deer meatloaf
Elk/deer burgers
Elk/deer bubble up enchiladas
Elk/deer biscuits and gravy
Elk/deer sausage, potatoes, and eggs mash hash (we love breakfast stuff)
etc etc etc

It sounds silly, but if your wife has a pinterest.... have her get on there and just start looking up recipes and then substitute whatever meet they require for the game meat. We have TONS of saved recipes from there and always try a new one.

Im drooling now

Oh yeah, man I completely forgot about biscuits and gravy! I had the processor make some breakfast sausage for me last year and I have been making biscuits and gravy with that.

Ivar88 said:
Oh yeah, man I completely forgot about biscuits and gravy! I had the processor make some breakfast sausage for me last year and I have been making biscuits and gravy with that.

You wont be disappointed! Well maybe you will be after you eat it all in one sitting. :p

Honestly for any big game animal we take, we usually get the steaks off of it and turn the rest into grind. Once it's ground, it can be substituted for ground beef in basically any recipe, especially elk. We will actually add a bit of fat to some of our elk burger when grinding it in case it's used in a recipe that needs it to not be as dry. So anything that takes burger, chances are we've made it with wild game. The grind is also used to make breakfast sausage (this is extremely easy to do), summer sausage, jerky, jerky sticks, etc.

For geese, every one is turned into jerky now. Simply put, I've tried damn near every recipe out there and I've never had it taste good, but make it into jerky and it turns out great! You wouldn't know if it's elk jerky or goose.

One of my favorites: dove poppers. Take a chunk of cream cheese and a slice of jalepeno, place two dove breasts around it and wrap it in bacon. Phenomenal!

Smoked pheasant is good. We've also taken pheasant, quail, and chuckar and made little fried nuggets with them. Basically cut the breasts up into bite size chunks, put your choice of batter on them (flour and bread crumbs works just fine after dipped in egg), and fry them up on a pan. Makes for an outstanding appetizer.

That's all I've got for now, but I'm sure more will come to mind. I need to go eat something first, I'm hungry now...

Nothing beats frog legs. But a close second would be fried Bob White quail breast.

WW said:
Nothing beats frog legs. But a close second would be fried Bob White quail breast.

I've never had frog legs, but quail is definitely one on my favorite things to eat! I should hopefully be digging into grouse and pheasant for the first time next fall!

i love hunting big game.  but the two standout meals for me..with stuff i've killed:

1. Cottontail nuggets.  soaked in buttermilk..dusted in flour..fried.  with the right hotsauce, it is profound.

2.  seared rare - Sandhill Crane.  a dab of horseradish.  wow.  it will compel you to open up a bottle of wine.  it is crazy good.

Boom, I have often heard of sandhill crane referred to ribeye of the sky. In the time I spent in New Mexico I could hear them chuckling way up in the stratosphere while goose hunting but I never got a swing at them. Now with that rabbit, how long are you soaking them in buttermilk for? This is on my hitlist...

Ivar88 said:
Boom, I have often heard of sandhill crane referred to ribeye of the sky. In the time I spent in New Mexico I could hear them chuckling way up in the stratosphere while goose hunting but I never got a swing at them. Now with that rabbit, how long are you soaking them in buttermilk for? This is on my hitlist...

not that long.  we boned out the rabbits to make the nuggets.  put it all in a ziploc bag and dumped in buttermilk.  (how someone thought to bring buttermilk to deercamp is a complete mystery..it wasnt me),,about an hour.  the first batch we used milk and it was also great.

cohunter14 said:
Honestly for any big game animal we take, we usually get the steaks off of it and turn the rest into grind. Once it's ground, it can be substituted for ground beef in basically any recipe, especially elk. We will actually add a bit of fat to some of our elk burger when grinding it in case it's used in a recipe that needs it to not be as dry. So anything that takes burger, chances are we've made it with wild game. The grind is also used to make breakfast sausage (this is extremely easy to do), summer sausage, jerky, jerky sticks, etc.

This is what I do. My deer and elk I steak the loins and a couple big muscles in the hams. The rest is grind. I mix about 6 pounds of game with 1 pound of 80/20 ground beef. That is all we ever eat for burger meals.
  A couple years ago I was working on my mother in laws roof and she made spaghetti for supper. My 22 year old daughter looked at my wife and said "What's wrong with this meat? It tastes funny." My wife told her "It is cow"  :haha:  :haha:
My kids have only known wild game burger.

Bowhunter1 said:
A couple years ago I was working on my mother in laws roof and she made spaghetti for supper. My 22 year old daughter looked at my wife and said "What's wrong with this meat? It tastes funny." My wife told her "It is cow"  :haha: :haha:
My kids have only known wild game burger.
That's hilarious!!!

I think I'm going to try some green chili elk enchiladas this week! I'm looking for a new recipe for it.

I have a new favorite to add to this list. Deer sausage queso with green chilies and fire roasted tomatoes. Awesome dip.

Halibut cheeks in a white wine beurre blanc sauce with capers.
Elk backstrap with shallots and fresh cherries in a balsamic reduction.

Just made the elk recipe a few weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing!  The steaks were medium rare with just kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Good thing about a sauce if don't have to use if don't want to.

Have to go back to Alaska for a fishing trip to get more halibut.

X2 on the frog legs!

colorado russ said:
Halibut cheeks in a white wine beurre blanc sauce with capers.
Elk backstrap with shallots and fresh cherries in a balsamic reduction.

Just made the elk recipe a few weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing!  The steaks were medium rare with just kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Good thing about a sauce if don't have to use if don't want to.

Have to go back to Alaska for a fishing trip to get more halibut.

X2 on the frog legs!

That sounds great! Never had the halibut cheeks, but it is now bucket list.

Can get them online from Captain Jack's for $31.99/lb.  OUCH!  Only get 2 per fish so they're prized and not shared often kinda like the elk tenderloins just much smaller.

I'm really hoping to crack down on some of the local salt water fishing. I like the idea of being able to eat elk mixed with red fish.....

Oh man, since moving to ND I have increased my fish intake tenfold, and I will be the first to tell you, panfish and backstrap pair very well together!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back