Your favorite wild game meals!

In Oklahoma now so will have crappie and sand bass this spring with whitetail backstraps.  Dang, now I'm hungry like Dan!

Ivar88 said:
Oh man, since moving to ND I have increased my fish intake tenfold, and I will be the first to tell you, panfish and backstrap pair very well together!

Hard to beat some good slough perch haha

Aside from the obvious backstrap/tenderloin meals pan seared or grilled... my favorites that are a little outside the box from the usual meat and potatoes from elk/deer/antelope are:

woodduck/mallard/grouse or pheasant in cream of mushroom on a bed of wild rice.... super simple/easy and to die for

halibut is crazy good just doing poor mans lobster

I'm not pretentious enough to fish trout and not keep them. I love them wrapped in foil w/ butter over fire

grilled pike has become one of my all time favorites, leave the skin on and grill it just on that side until done.

mallard stirfry

usually try to kill enough geese to make a years worth of summer sausage. Have it made by a local butcher that will cause you to never want to buy any store bought sandwhich meat.

sandhill crane has been fantastic the few times I've been in an area where we could legally kill them but don't have any real fancy recipes yet for it.

wild turkey in a homemade pot pie is pretty good also. In the last 5 years I've become a turkey hunting fanatic and wish I would have taken it more seriously the last 30.

Smoked/cured bear roasts have changed my mind about eating bear.

BrentLaBere said:
Ivar88 said:
Oh man, since moving to ND I have increased my fish intake tenfold, and I will be the first to tell you, panfish and backstrap pair very well together!

Hard to beat some good slough perch haha

Exactly! Haha

backcountry_hunter said:
Aside from the obvious backstrap/tenderloin meals pan seared or grilled... my favorites that are a little outside the box from the usual meat and potatoes from elk/deer/antelope are:

woodduck/mallard/grouse or pheasant in cream of mushroom on a bed of wild rice.... super simple/easy and to die for

halibut is crazy good just doing poor mans lobster

I'm not pretentious enough to fish trout and not keep them. I love them wrapped in foil w/ butter over fire

grilled pike has become one of my all time favorites, leave the skin on and grill it just on that side until done.

mallard stirfry

usually try to kill enough geese to make a years worth of summer sausage. Have it made by a local butcher that will cause you to never want to buy any store bought sandwhich meat.

sandhill crane has been fantastic the few times I've been in an area where we could legally kill them but don't have any real fancy recipes yet for it.

wild turkey in a homemade pot pie is pretty good also. In the last 5 years I've become a turkey hunting fanatic and wish I would have taken it more seriously the last 30.

Smoked/cured bear roasts have changed my mind about eating bear.

I take a fair amount of foul every year have never tried the wild rice mushroom sauce recipe. That is not a bucket list meal!

Ivar88 said:
I take a fair amount of foul every year have never tried the wild rice mushroom sauce recipe. That is not a bucket list meal!

Yea typically I toss a few birds in the slow cooker with a can or two (depending on how much meat) of cream of mushroom, a table spoon of flour to thicken it a bit and some garlic and pearl onions and walk away.... then make some real wild rice about an hour before dinner and lay the meat/gravy over the top. Literally can't screw it up....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back