Your Number 1 tip?

Knowledge, patience and perseverance kills elk.
Know your query and your area.
Even when you feel your time is running short, resist the temptation to hunt in a panic. It is great to skip a nap or drop down into one more basin, but believe in yourself and your plan.
To persevere is to hang in there when you really want to give up. Stay when hunting is looking futile. I have killed some of my biggest bucks and bulls when I was questioning why I was still wasting my time. I killed one elk in the last hour of the last day.

SLOW DOWN!

The elk woods doesnt move like our daily lives do.
Take a breath, relax and enjoy your hunt

This:

\"Swede\" said:
To persevere is to hang in there when you really want to give up. Stay when hunting is looking futile. I have killed some of my biggest bucks and bulls when I was questioning why I was still wasting my time. I killed one elk in the last hour of the last day.

It is difficult to persevere when you aren\'t having success, but it is even more difficult to kill an elk while sitting in camp or in your car on the way home.

For me....Don\'t measure success as killing an elk and going home without a failure. As long as I enjoyed my time in the woods and got some time with the elk it is a brilliant elk hunt. Do what makes you happy.

Take all the factors you have control over out of the equation. Equipment, conditioning, weapon accuracy. You have eleven months to prepare yourself and one month to execute. Make it count.

Keep your nose in the wind! They can see you and they can hear you and you can still be OK. But let them get the slightest whiff of you and it is game over.

\"timberland\" said:
Take all the factors you have control over out of the equation. Equipment, conditioning, weapon accuracy. You have eleven months to prepare yourself and one month to execute. Make it count.

I like that. Simple and solid advise. In addition let me add; don\'t overestimate your ability and underestimate your query. Over confidence leads to an inevitable feeling of losing. Maybe it won\'t happen this year, but it is not far away. For times like that you do well to consider Olympushunt\'s perspective.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
number 1?

hunt where there are elk.

I like this one; and also what Swede said, which is good advice for life in general, i.e. control what you can, and don\'t fret about the rest.

I figure I have enough trouble dealing with the things in life I can actually do something about that I don\'t have enough hours in the day to start worrying about things I have no control over!

But elky\'s advice is imperative ... I can\'t tell you how much time I\'ve spent in woods without elk. What a waste.

follow swede or cnelk to one of their treestands an hunt in it. :shh:
seriously though, great advise above. hunt hard, hunt smart, an enjoy

Great tips guys/gals. How about some of you new comers? What\'s one tip that you picked up that you will make sure to use this season?

\"JohnFitzgerald\" said:
Great tips guys/gals. How about some of you new comers? What\'s one tip that you might have picked up that you will make sure to use this season?
Hunt where the elk are. Seems simple...sheesh, yeah right! I hope i have good news after our scouting trip this weekend.

I may have learned this one last year. You do not need to go miles from the road to get into elk in a CO OTC area. Last year, all my elk encounters were within 1/4 mile from the road and camp. Do not overlook the close in opportunities. Due to a hip/pelvic issue now, I may have to scale back my hunting distance from a road. I normally prefer the distance between 0.5 to 1.5 miles to avoid seeing other hunters.

My tip from a retired elk hunter is, enjoy ever second God gives ya with the elk in the high country... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

\"mtnmutt\" said:
I may have learned this one last year. You do not need to go miles from the road to get into elk in a CO OTC area. Last year, all my elk encounters were within 1/4 mile from the road and camp. Do not overlook the close in opportunities. Due to a hip/pelvic issue now, I may have to scale back my hunting distance from a road. I normally prefer the distance between 0.5 to 1.5 miles to avoid seeing other hunters.

I think mtmutt and larks are lessions I learned the hard way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back