Youth Hunting Bows

Lucas in Wa

Jan 2, 2013
I am looking for a bow that my daughter can grow with. She is 11 and will be tagging along on some hunts this fall. She has shown interest in archery and I am looking for a youth bow that has a good amount of draw weight and length adjustability. In WA a hunting bow must have a minimum draw weight of40 lbs. Obviously she will have to work up to that, but I don't like buying things twice if I can avoid it. She won't be hunting for a year or two, but I want her to have a bow that she can use for hunting when the time comes. If you are in the same boat, what are your kids shooting? I have been looking at the following, but am open to suggestions:

Barnett Vortex
Bear Apprentice 2
Hoyt Ruckus
Mission Craze
APA Rattler - Not an option due to price, but a cool bow

Thoughts?

I bought my son a Parker side kick xp. They are adjustable in draw length and weight. The weight adjustment is new limbs, but for $50 and some shipping they will put new limbs on it and send it back to you in a few weeks. They have camo and pink camo. Check them out at parkerbows.com

Diamond Razors Edge Youth Bow.
I have been looking at this bow for my kids, I haven;t pulled the trigger yet, but it is a very versatile bow with a huge range of adjustments. It should last them till they can buy their own.

My son has a Mission Menace. I love that little bow and so does he. I set it up with a whisper biscuit and a cheap true glow sight and it works great. It's easy to make adjust the draw lenght and it's a reasonable price too.

There is actually one in the classified ads on this site.

Jimbow65 said:
Diamond Razors Edge Youth Bow.
I have been looking at this bow for my kids, I haven;t pulled the trigger yet, but it is a very versatile bow with a huge range of adjustments. It should last them till they can buy their own.

Im here to tell ya to pull that trigger on the Diamond Razors Edge! Awesome little bow! Adjusts down for a young hunter and then up as they grow up  :)  Bought one for my son and it grew like he did- fast! He was able to start with a low poundage and then use it at 50 lbs to shoot a 5pt bull at 41 yards. The bow shoots smooth, comfortable, and is easy for kids to shoot. The bow comes ready to shoot for a very affordable price , just needs arrows, release, and an arm guard. No regrets at all and would do it again in a heart beat!

380871_284584164905513_958466324_n.jpg

Love the photo!

I bought my daughter a Bear Apprentice II.  Right now it is at 15inch draw & 11 pounds.  It will go all the way up to 27inch draw & 60 pounds.  It should last her until she's an adult.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will put in some more research one the bows you mentioned and go from there. Great pic, THEBUGLER. That must have been a great day for you both.

I bought the Bear and it works for my 8 and 12 year old as well as my wife. Easy to adjust the draw length should work until adulthood if I can get/keep them interested enough.

My son has enjoyed the menace. Only complaint is the handle is really wide, and I haven't been able to find any that are narrow now that he has grown a lot, it would be great to improve that part.

But it is a great bow - we have adjusted it many times as he grew and it was super fast and easy to do. Kids don't have patience, so that was a huge deal for me.

I have a PSE bow that I purchased for my kids quite a while back that was very cool, I could adjust it from super easy to pull up to I believe 45#. The big important thing to remember is to find a bow that will not just grow with them in poundage but also and probably more important, draw length. If you are tall, they can grow out of the bows draw length before reaching its upper poundage limit.

Good point on draw length. That's something I had not paid enough attention to. But will now, as I am 6'4" and she is tall for her age. Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.

Rich Z said:
My son has a Mission Menace. I love that little bow and so does he. I set it up with a whisper biscuit and a cheap true glow sight and it works great. It's easy to make adjust the draw lenght and it's a reasonable price too.

There is actually one in the classified ads on this site.

I have the Mathews Menace Mission bow in the classifieds. Spent over $500 and letting it go for $350 with everything on it and the release.

The Diamond Razor Edge is your best bet for your needs.  Diamond is replacing that bow this year with something that will be a little faster and more adjustable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back