Backcountry Mileage

Mark.N

Apr 30, 2024
I'm planning my first elk hunt in New Mexico this October, and I was wondering how many miles people typically hike into the wilderness for a backcountry hunt. I am in my early 30s, and in great shape (I train almost everyday). I've scouted what looks to be a great hunting spot about 7 miles in, and about 2000ft in elevation gain. Is this a reasonable hike for me? Am I overdoing it? I have great equipment and plenty of camping experience, but I've never attempted something like this before. I am from the Midwest and don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but I am willing to do just about anything if it means getting into elk. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

A few things to consider before going that far in:

1) If you shoot an elk back there, can you reasonably get it out before it spoils?
2) Do you really want to fully commit to a spot 7 miles in? That's a lot of work, only to get back there and potentially find out there aren't any elk.

Going deep is the new 'fad' in elk hunting, and it can definitely be successful. However, there are people who shoot elk every year within a mile of a road and there are people who walk right past elk every year to get in deep.

If you are going to go that deep, I would definitely make sure I had plans to get meat out if I was successful and I would also have a Plan B, C, etc if you get back in there and don't find elk.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice. I did find an outfitter that works in the area that will assist with getting meat out. I don't want to go in deep just for the sake of doing it. I talked to a biologist who said there's great feed in this area, and I am able to glass multiple locations, and I'm hoping the elk will be less pressured. It just looks like an amazing spot that isn't replicated closer to my truck, and I may never draw this unit again. I don't want to look back on this hunt, if I'm unsuccessful, and think that I took the easy route. You are right though, there are definitely elk to be found closer too. I'm going to have to think on this one...

Reactions: DTP
When I hear NM and wilderness - I think of stuff like 16B or 45.

My only recommendation is have a really good extraction plan for the meat. I’ve heard of way too many people who hike in way too far, kill an elk, and then lose all the meat because they didn’t have the means or a good plan to get it out.

October can still be pretty warm in some areas.

Do your research on meat care. I think they did an elktalkpodcast on it.

I remember a few years ago I had to help two gentleman pack an elk about 5.5 miles out. If I wouldn’t have been there they would have lost a large majority of their meat.

Just a consideration!

You don’t have to tell me the unit, but lots of NM units have good densities and as Cohunter mentioned, you might not need to get off the road that far.

I’ve killed elk 300 yards off the road in NM and 3 miles deep in NM.

Thanks for the advice. I did find an outfitter that works in the area that will assist with getting meat out. I don't want to go in deep just for the sake of doing it. I talked to a biologist who said there's great feed in this area, and I am able to glass multiple locations, and I'm hoping the elk will be less pressured. It just looks like an amazing spot that isn't replicated closer to my truck, and I may never draw this unit again. I don't want to look back on this hunt, if I'm unsuccessful, and think that I took the easy route. You are right though, there are definitely elk to be found closer too. I'm going to have to think on this one...
Totally understand what you're saying. The toughest part is having never been there. If you go that deep, there could be great feed and less pressure, but the elk still might not be there. Just be sure you have a backup plan that, hopefully, doesn't require hiking all the way back out if you don't find elk, or otherwise you'll have wasted at least a full day of your hunt hiking back and forth.

I hike as much as 14 miles a day while hunting without many problems other than soreness. I am 44 and I won't say I'm out of shape but I have been in better shape than I am now. Everywhere I hunt I am within a mile or two of a trail or gated road I can get a meat cart on so my pack outs aren't that far on my back. The farthest I have ever had to carry one is about 1.5 miles to get to a road. That being said one of the most physically demanding hunts I do every year is only 6 miles round trip on elk trails so terrain does really matter.

I would say your biggest problem with logging long miles besides the meat care aspects people have mentioned could be acclimating to elevation. I'm not sure what elevation you live at or you will be hunting at but there really is less oxygen the higher you go. I would plan on taking it easy the first couple days and research altitude sickness symptoms and treatments. I live at the elevation I hunt so it's not an issue for me but if you are gaining a lot of elevation from where you live it could ruin your hunt.

Unit I hunt in Colorado, if you walk in 3 miles, you’re almost to the next road.
Wyoming is a different story. Used to think that I’d worry about how to get it out once I got it down. That’s not the case anymore. I’d like to think with age comes wisdom. I still go back in the timber, I just have a plan before my foot leaves the trail.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back