2014 fitness goals

Montana_BackCountry

Jan 9, 2013
Who needs a new year?  End of season means time to set new goals. 

I want to get down another 10-15 lbs and add 5-10 lbs of muscle in the next six months.  Made it to 185 lbs before elk season from 215 lbs last January.  Been hovering 185 since.  Time to take it to the next level and increase my strength and decrease the fat load.  Six months sets me at dropping 3-5 lbs of fat a month while adding on muscle as it comes with diet and exercise.  By February I should be at 173 to be on target.  Sounds like an achievable goal to me. 

Who else wants to get down on setting some goals?  If you fail to plan you plan to fail right?

I am 61 years old, and My goal for 2014 is to get down to 180-185 lbs. I am currently 196.
my plan is to work out 6 days a week.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 18 different exercises on my Total Gym and 40 minutes to a hour on the Treadmill.
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 30 to 40 minutes on my Elliptical.
And when the weather allows, riding my bicycle too. I live in Michigan.

Kevin

I'm 230right now, which is not huge for my frame but I am going to tighten up the mid section.  I want to be 210 by next season as I see this as reasonable. With that I would like to be at 12-13% body fat.  I'm at 18% right now so that's a bit of work.  My other goals are to hit 500 on squat and deadlift.  I think both of those exercises are beneficial for being in elk hunting shape.  Also I'm going to try and log many more miles but less on pavement, its amazing how much less my knees hurt trail running or on grass/dirt. 

been having a hard time getting fired back up, but suspect I'll get focused come January when draw season starts to get moving....My feet aren't holding up to the pounding I've been giving them running the last 15 years, so I'm transitioning to more time on the bike.  Good change of pace, we'll see how it works.

Yep, with getting older we definitely have to change the way we train. life is easy till about 40, then things start going down hill, and at 50 they go down hill faster.
personally I think a elliptical is great for us older guys, I love mine.

Kevin

Looking to lose some weight.  Currently sitting at 212 and would like to get down to 180 or so and probably put on 5 to 10 pounds of muscle by August. 

I'm starting 2014 trying to see if alternative medicine treatments of chiropractic and accupuncture, along with mineral supplements will help my Transeverse Myelitis.  I had taken off 12 lbs. before I went Muley hunting last Fall,  but I put it back on again.  The one doctor I am going to thinks I have thyroid issues, but my regular MD has never said I have that.....

As far as fitness, I'll be getting back on the AirDyne to get started during the remainder of the Winter months.  I also have the Insanity Dvds that I may finally try......My biggest issue is trying to find a good diet that I can maintain.  It's difficult to cook for two people that operate on different shifts.....

I need to loose 20-25# also, I have lost more than that in the past, but I gradually put it back on.
-My fitness goals are to run a 5k, (I have never been a runner almost 49yo)
-Loose 25#
-Spend more time on the bike, (my kids are getting old enough to do some bike races)
-Increase my flexibility
Jim

Jimbow, I have to agree with the flexibility. I think its something everyone underestimates how crucial it is while training.
Pushing myself from the standards I was at last fall. Faster mile. Faster 4 mile run and incorporating trail running by the river bottoms. All of this should help with mental toughness. For me, thats what running is all about. Only running two miles every morning - 4 times a week on average. Wont start stepping it up until March when my applications are in. I am trying to maintain and dont want to burn myself out by July. Just my own personal outlook on it.

Like Jim and Brent said I believe flexibility is huge in not only injury prevention but making me more mobile on the mountain. Brent hit the nail on the head when he said faster times. I always have to be competing with myself for a better time or heavier lift. I think it's important to set short and long term goals to keep you pushing and climbing instead of reaching that plateau. For me in 2014 my goals will not be focused on weight lost or muscle gained but how effectively I can get up and down the mountain. Looking forward to this years Train To Hunt Challenge which will be a good test for any bowhunter.

Man i have slapped on 10 -15 unwanted since my elk season ended and have gotten super lazy i have to get it plus ten off to get to 200 so back to walking running and dont hate yoga! starts tomorrow im with ya i was in great shape last season i wanna be in rediculace shape for the next Fricken Cameren Hanes makes me feel guilty everyday on face book lol  so im gonna do what he does get back on the horse and keep hammerin ;D

Im 52 and I weigh in at 172 my winter weight. I want to get back down to 165 my hunting weight. Im lucky enough to live by a mountain. When the snow is gone I go for hikes. I do push ups and crunches all year.

Montana_BackCountry said:
Who needs a new year?  End of season means time to set new goals. 

I want to get down another 10-15 lbs and add 5-10 lbs of muscle in the next six months.  Made it to 185 lbs before elk season from 215 lbs last January.  Been hovering 185 since.  Time to take it to the next level and increase my strength and decrease the fat load.  Six months sets me at dropping 3-5 lbs of fat a month while adding on muscle as it comes with diet and exercise.  By February I should be at 173 to be on target.  Sounds like an achievable goal to me. 

Who else wants to get down on setting some goals?  If you fail to plan you plan to fail right?

On the same plan as you... This time last year I was 210 and by the time early elk came, I was 173... Still hovering 177 as of today. Want to dump about 20 in fat and gain 10 in lean muscle.... Good luck!!

Moving into February a little behind on the fitness schedule.  Recognized that I was behind about a week or more ago.  Started doing two a day workouts (lunchbreak hike and then lifting in the garage after kids are in bed) which has made a big impact.  Definitely increasing strength and chipping away at the midsection.  Goal for Feb 28: be at 175lbs.  Ready set go

the weather has killed my fitness goals with the below 0 temps and the gym being over crowded because of newyears resolutioners i cant catch a break i may have to double up this month at home or buy a video lol

I'll give all you 185lb guys something to make you feel a little better.  I'm 6'0 and in Sept i weighed 308 did the no carb deal got down to 288 gained back a little now I'm at 291. Now I'm a big dude to begin with in my top shape im around 210 but my realistic goal for this oct is 240 and 230 would be great. I pulled out the old SFAS preparation work and a workout that they recomend to prepare for Buds . If you can stick with that you're garunteed to lose weight.  I'm about to wrap up week one of nine.  Not everybody needs that intense of a training program but I've let myself go so far that it calls for drastic measures to make the kind of progress I need. I'll say this I feel like im back in boot camp. I'm sore from head to toe but I'll be damned if I'm going to not kill an elk on this trip because I couldn't do it physically. I may not kill one but it won't be because I couldn't hack it.  I'll keep yall posted on the progress

Dito on the fitness goals, the weather here has been killing me. Although I did get out 2 times last weekend for some intense cross country skiing. that is done now that everything is iced up. I have got to stay focused, hard to do this time of year.

Been pretty good about running all winter.  Started a couple years ago and love being able to go anytime anywhere with just a few adjustments of clothing/lights even most of the winter months in North idaho.  I have no extra income to spend so if the weather is over the top it's lunges, pushups and crunches with kids for weights.  Did my first 10k last year and looking at 1/2 marathons or olympic/sprint triathalons if I ever get my but in the lake to swim for this year.

In a effort to further prepare for my elk hunt I have joined a crossfit gym.  I been at it for two weeks now and ive finished the beginner phase which was a pretty good ass whoppin and monday I go to my first real class. I'll keep yall posted on how it goes

So it's april and I'm at 175 now.  Abit behind schedule but feeling really good so I'm not too disappointed about where I'm at.  Looking into the next two months I am working toward that 170 mark where I'd like to sit at.  My lifts haveadded decent weight and runs are feeling much better. 
Feels like 2014 season should be a good one. 
How's everyone else feeling as the weather turns from cold to warm?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back