2016 DEER Update Thread

cnelk

Mar 23, 2017
It\'s that time of the year....

Lets post rut activity, encounters, adventures, and updates as we head into this fall season!

GOOD LUCK!

I have been in the middle of a lot of deer activity for the past few hunts. I have seen 10 deer twice out of the same stand with no shots. They were close too but this was an area I just found, hung a stand and have been hunting. Finally got enough lanes cut to where I should get a shot off now.

Last night I hunted another stand. I saw 6 gobblers early and then had a mature doe walk right behind the stand about 30 min before last light.
d85247c3e544ecf44a15de9c9069b539.jpg
59f777342c21f57a80a8b0101a498630.jpg
6b8b00dedab1ba4264943776f1138e3e.jpg
01e43eefb5c39193d9e773062c67d1a7.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Made it out for my first hunt of the season on friday evening. I had a forkhorn and an arkansas eleven point browse through and head towards the clover field about an hour before dark. Thought I heard some sparing behind me while they were in front but it didnt last long. Hoping to make it back out this fri or sat.

\"SGH31\" said:
Made it out for my first hunt of the season on friday evening. I had a forkhorn and an arkansas eleven point browse through and head towards the clover field about an hour before dark. Thought I heard some sparing behind me while they were in front but it didnt last long. Hoping to make it back out this fri or sat.

LOL @ Arkansas eleven point!!!! Good luck this year, Seth!

I made a quick trip out to Nebraska.

I arrived on Friday afternoon and got out with my climber to check things out

Well, it seems as tho a tornado went thru the area over the summer and many, many cottonwoods were in shambles.
It was a jungle in the places I have hunted in the past.

I scouted around, not much for sign.
Saw a couple deer and found a place to sit for the evening

Then came the mosquitoes...

There was no way I could sit still.

Damn.
I ended the day and made a plan for morning

AndyJ sent me a txt so I went over to his place for the evening since he only lives 10miles away.

Saturday morning I head back to the area.
I see many deer out in the cropland in the headlights as the corn is not yet picked

I arrive at my tree and climb up
I see lots of vehicles arriving too

Then I notice they are headed to the lake front behind me
Oh great... Opening day of duck season and Im about 200yds from the shore...

Just before shooting light I hear a deer moving toward me and then I see the dark object about 30yds away
The deer moved out into the fields and out of sight

Then duck season officially opened

Boom Boom Boom BOOM

I climbed down and went back to my truck to check out out another spot

Only then did I notice that there were other deer hunters EVERYWHERE!
They must have come in behind me

The forecast was gonna be 80 degrees, so I packed up and headed back home

At least these tags are good til mid January

Lone doe came by at 7:30, but was too far out. (51 yards)
Then a doe and the smallest fawn I\'ve ever seen in my life came by at 8:15.

Great morning so far!

\"iccyman001\" said:
Lone doe came by at 7:30, but was too far out. (51 yards)
Then a doe and the smallest fawn I\'ve ever seen in my life came by at 8:15.

Great morning so far!

The deer are smaller in Florida. You might have to shoot a few to equal a Midwest corn fed whitetail. :mock: Happy hunting.

you shoulda been duck hunting brad
good luck guys, im not hunting them but hearing lots of reports of pre rut activity right now

The young bucks are chasing the does hard where I\'m at in Missouri right now. I had three different ones chasing around my stand. Lots of new rubs showing up every day and some scraping going on.

I went out last night with a guy I met here in Florida.
He gut shot a doe at 1810 and legal hours ended at 1836. The area we were hunting had check ins and check outs so we had to track....
After 700-800 yards we found her alive at the bottom of a creek bed. She was bedded in some SUPER nasty thick stuff.
We were able to get within 5 yards of her. At this time my phone rang and it was the check in station.... \"Just wanted to check in with you and let you know you have less than a half hour before we close the range.\" YIKES!

I explained we had a gut shot animal, we found her and asked if we could expire her even though it was after hours. He approved, so we arrowed her, recovered her and drug her out faster than I have ever done anything.

We made it to the gate at 2009, but they were super nice to us and were very appreciative that we answered the phone when they called, called them back to ask about expiring her, and made a quick effort to get out.

Im pumped right now! You always hear about the gut shots that don\'t end well and this one was SUCCESSFUL! :upthumb:
SO my buddy is going to sleep better and I am just uber pumped.

By the way.... it\'s THICK down here in Florida.... I saw about 25 spiders over 5\" during the recovery along.... :sick:

\"iccyman001\" said:
By the way.... it\'s THICK down here in Florida.... I saw about 25 spiders over 5\" during the recovery along.... :sick:

Dang!! you might have to carry a sidearm just for spiders and snakes. :shock:

Congrats to your new buddy, Dan... :upthumb: :upthumb:

If they are anything like they are here, just wait for the B-52 mosquitoes to make an aerial attack... :lol: :lol:

Heading out today for our eastern plains whitetail hunt. Only two of us are going as my dad is still out because of his back surgery. I\'ve never felt so unprepared for a hunt in my life...haven\'t even stepped foot in the area as I decided to spend all of my scouting time this year on archery elk. Hoping to get a good lay of the land this afternoon. In addition I\'ve had a little help from someone here on BTO so hopefully that\'s all that is needed! :mg:

Derek
You\'ll do fine :)

Cole will probably fill his doe tag out there tomorrow morning as he has scouted out a spot.
If he does I will prob head out there tomorrow and pick up his deer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back