2016 DEER Update Thread

Found an awesome spot yesterday that I really think will produce!
I saw a good sized hog too, but no clear shot.

Cant wait to get back out there.

No he didnt.

He only went out hunting Saturday evening due to school work.
He said he will be headed out hunting this evening again tho

My buddy did shoot a nice 10 point out there yesterday morning.
He rattled him in to 30yds and he came trotting in

I\'m back from our trip. Same spot that Brad is mentioning above and that Cole will be out at. The vegetation was unreal on that river bottom. Knee deep stuff was the shortest you could find and a lot of it was 8-10 feet tall. Without tree stands, it didn\'t really leave us much for options outside of sneaking through and trying to jump them and get a shot off.

Saturday morning found us in the middle of the \'Orange Army\'. We hiked in over a mile and I quickly realized as the sun came up that a distance like that isn\'t as significant in the flat lands as it is in the mountains. I went in another mile, but wasn\'t seeing much for sign. We were back to the truck around 10:00 and went to check out another area. A big loop through that area gave us a lot more hope...no hunters and a TON of sign. We also jumped a few doe\'s along the way. That evening we were back in there and my buddy jumped a large buck, but never got a shot before he bound into the 10 foot tall stuff. We tried pushing that, but didn\'t have any luck. All in all, we saw probably 10 deer between the two of us on day one. Not bad for how it started. We had covered over 11 miles on the day and we were a bit spent to say the least!

Day two found us pushing the same area into a decent morning breeze. We had barely gotten underway when we jumped three doe\'s. That would be the first of many deer seen that day between the two of us. We finally stopped keeping track, but the tally was well over 30 on the day. As we got deeper in, my buddy finally laid eyes on another buck. He was smaller, but gave him a split second shot opportunity as he took off running to his left. He got a shot off, but no luck. We pressed on in the direction of that buck, but never found him. We kept on and then another doe was spotted. The thing ran back in forth between the two of us, not knowing what to do, when out jumped another smaller buck. My buddy went to take a shot but at the last second the doe jumped right in front of the buck, making him flinch away as he pulled the trigger. Luckily he missed the doe, but the buck was off and gone in an instant.

At that point we were about three miles in, so we decided to start pushing some of the area back towards the truck. We continued to jump doe\'s, but no sign of bucks. We both had our guns at the ready the whole way, anticipating another chance and not willing to have that chance ruined with a gun slung over the shoulder. Finally, one came for me. A big buck jumped up in the woods, 50 yards ahead and took off. I raised my gun and tried to find a shooting lane in my scope. I found one and as the buck came into it, I ripped off a shot...

The gun recoiled and as I came back to the spot of the shot in my scope, I saw nothing. Did I really just tumble him?

Unfortunately, that was wishful thinking. I missed the shot. It was a difficult shot and, truthfully, made more difficult by having a scope on my rifle. Without the scope, I could have shot way earlier and probably gotten more than one shot off. But I was still a little frustrated to screw up an opportunity at a good buck. Part of me was happy to not have to pack that guy out 2+ miles, but the meat and mount would have more than made up for that! We continued pushing on, but that was all the opportunity we were going to get. We made it back to the trucks, packed up, and headed home. It was a short hunt, but I wasn\'t going to stretch my limits with the wife since I had only been home for about a week after my elk hunt.

I did learn quite a few things on this trip. First off, I learned it was a big mistake to not get up there and scout the area at least once. I would have realized the need for a tree stand or the need to turn the tag in and wait for a year in which we don\'t get so much rain in the spring. I also would have brought a different rifle, something with open sights or a red dot for the quick shot opportunities.

As a side note, the CPW Officer told us he had been working this area for 25 years and this was the worst he had seen the vegetation from a brutal height standpoint. There were only a handful of doe\'s taken on Saturday and not one buck. Brad\'s buddy is the only one that I had heard of who had filled a buck tag.

In the end, being out in the woods is never a bad thing! I was just really hoping to add a whitetail to the trophy room. Now I guess I have to find another time to hunt them :D

Nice recap Derek and I\'ll definitely be reaching out to you for some pointers. Plan to do a scouting trip mid-Nov but realize it\'s archery season 11/9 - 11/30 also then late season opens Dec 1st.

Of course, I took my climbing sticks and chain on tree stand back to Oklahoma since I wouldn\'t be needing them in CO!!

Still have a ladder stand but it\'s damn heavy to be dragging in a couple of miles!

Derek
Tough luck for sure!
Its too bad you didnt have more time, but family comes first!

Here is the buck my buddy shot Sunday morning.
Rattled him in to 30yds

Today was our rifle opener so me and my oldest daughter went out. I took my bow and she had her 06. She saw a spike just after daylight but didn\'t have a shot. She texts me telling me about it and while reading her text I look over and the spike is 30 yards away coming my way and he walks 5 yards from my stand. Fun to watch. I let him walk. About 10 I\'m getting ready to head over and pick up my daughter when a shot rings out. I text her and she replies I frigging missed him. I head over and find hair all over the grass. We look to make sure there was no blood. There wasn\'t. Just gave him a close shave. She was bummed out. It was a big fork horn. She saw two does tonight. I gave a grouse a shave tonight with a judo point. Dang. Fun day!

Instead of making a thread I\'ll just do my update here.
I just got back from a fantastic trip in Kentucky hanging out with Mark. (Bow freak)
He and his family were kind enough to let me stay at their house for a few days while we chased KY whitetail. I had a BALL!
I saw multiple deer on every single hunt aside from one. MULTIPLE deer. This is just not normal for me with the areas I hunt, so I was losing my mind!
I was able to put two tasty does down. One with my bow and I finally broke my rifle in on another.

Up until this trip I had never killed a whitetail doe. All my encounters with them in Oklahoma were super close encounters... so they always bagged me.
Well, my curse it lifted!

Thanks again Mark!!!!

Let me upload some pictures

This trip I swear I had deer fever.
Not even buck fever... DEER fever. I was so excited to shoot them!

When I saw my first doe inbound I was so pumped to send an arrow at her.
I didn\'t really look at how big show was.... :shock:

The next deer was a nice doe!

I was scouting a piece of land and set up over this area where I overlooked some cornfields.
Expecting a long shot, I was highly surprised when three does popped out 40 yards away from me heading my way.
The .270wsm did its job. ;)

Nice Dan. Those little deer are harder to hit.

I feel better that I\'m not alone in shooting crock pot sized deer. [emoji12]

eaa44feb41f22531b94b6327ad4e7be9.jpg

\"ihuntforchrist\" said:
Nice Dan. Those little deer are harder to hit.

I feel better that I\'m not alone in shooting crock pot sized deer. [emoji12]

eaa44feb41f22531b94b6327ad4e7be9.jpg

Cj,

I sent the picture of my doe to a buddy and he said \"we call them \"Yummies\".\"
I have to agree with him!

They sure are tasty. :upthumb:

\"iccyman001\" said:
Cj,

I sent the picture of my doe to a buddy and he said \"we call them \"Yummies\".\"
I have to agree with him!

They sure are tasty. :upthumb:

Well the entire front quarter from my fawn fit into my average sized crock pot. After a few hours on low, it was very yummy!

I like yummies.

\"bowhunter\" said:
Nice doe CJ... Nice rifle too. I have one that is the exact same.

Thanks. I love my CVA Accura. It shoots better than some centerfire rifles I\'ve hunted with in the past.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back