advice on new knife

turbo1967

Jan 4, 2013
Looking for input on a new knife, Had one years ago that would cut and skin 8 to 10 animals before it needed sharpened, it is now laying on the mountain somewhere , can seem to find a good knife these days with out spending 500 plus $  Any input?

Buy a havalon.  I thought my knives were sharp before using one of those.  After my entire deer it was still cutting better than my old knives.  If you are processing an elk and you feel like the blade is getting dull, pop another one on in less than a minute and you are back in business.  They are light too.

Havalon!  I also love my Outdoor Edge Swing Blade for "unzipping" the hide.  I just bought an Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze (replaceable blades like Havalon) and I'll let you know how it performs this year.  It has a more substantial handle to it and I feel like I'll be able to handle it more securely than the Havalon knives.

For around $50 you can get a folding buck knife and sheath. It carries easily on the belt and has a strong backbone. Used it on two elk and several deer and has worked great. I just like a strong belt knife for general use.

I don't think this has been mention before, but if I were you, I'd buy a HAVALON.  ;)

A good Buck fixed blade has always worked well for me. I carry a small sharpener with me and have not had any problems getting the job done. Experience has also taught me that when you reach for that Buck knife on your belt and find that mother nature stole your knife, you can get the job done with a broadhead  (the original Havalon?)

Does anybody know...Will the Havalon Piranta Z take the newer 60A Thicker blades? The new torch/bolt will use the new 60A blades and the 60XT blades that the Z and Edge use. It seems like they are somewhat universal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I wonder why nobody mentioned a Havalon? I picked this thing up last year for $8 it came with 6 replacement blades, did pretty good as a skinning knife. Maybe this with a Havalon I will be set, feed back to come in the next few weeks.  ;)

Attachments

• New Folder 055.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2
My guilty hunting pleasure is to buy a new knife for every big hunt.  Three seasons ago I purchased a Sling Blaze.  I really like the knife but its been the most unlucky knife I have ever purchased.  Since I purchased the knife I have not taken a big game animal.  The knife hasnt tasted blood.  Hopefully this is the year to change that.
Two weeks and a day till I leave for Colorado!! I got ants in my pants.

I've always been a fixed blade buck knife with a gut hook person myself and it has always treated me great! I also received a knives of Alaska from cabelas fillet knife and 2 boning  knifes for Christmas this past year from my wife and I absolutely love them the edge is great on them and it lasts longer than most other knives I've owned. If I ever lose my buck I think I will seriously look at one of their field knives. They are comparable to a buck in price as well.

The Havalon Piranta is all I use anymore, first time user might like the Bolt or Torch since they accept the heavier blades.
If you must have a fixed blade the Buck Alpha Hunter works well.

8) This post is so great and nice  :-*

The Havalon Piranta is all I use anymore, first time user might like the Bolt or Torch since they accept the heavier blades.
If you must have a fixed blade the Buck Alpha Hunter works well.

I use a victorinox pearling knife and use a handheld diamond sharpener and one swipe I am back in business

Bark River Knives.  Hands down best knife I have ever used. Almost all are A2 tool steel and most of them are now offered in CPM-3V. toughest knives out there

I have to agree with other posts, Havalon.
I also carry Al Mar SERE folder as well as a Buck fixed blade.  I am hooked on the Havalon though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back