Altitude meds

There are these masks you can wear that simulate altitude during workouts, sleeping, hanging out. It's a really good way for flat landers to prepare their bodies. AMS (acute mountain sickness) and a persons sensitivity to it has a lot to do with physical condition but even more to do with your genetics. Some people just can't handle altitude. I highly recommend sleeping below 8000' obviously this can't happen if you are hunting at 11000' but adding a bit of a hike for a good nights sleep is a sacrifice I am willing to make. Also hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more.
-Former mountain rescue WEMT

I am from Iowa and always had a dull headache for several day of the hunt. I started taking Altitude Adjustment supplent for 2 days before and the first two days there. My headaches are hardly noticeable now. I always stay hydrated but the supplement seems to work for me.

I've suffered from Altitude sickness sense I was a kid.  The best thing that I have found is drinking a lot of water to keep hydrated.  I tried wilderness athlete altitude pill this fall in New Mexico at 10,000'.  I had no issue with headaches.  The one down side I found was if you take the pill on an empty stomach is you burp up the powder and it doesn't taste the best. haha.  Lastly if you feel any sign of a headache coming on take a break and take Advil, or any headache med you have immediately to prevent it from getting worse.

i have a friend that had to go to the hospital when him and a friend drove to Montana for a mule deer hunt.  he got sick bad.  he said he was coughing all night and spitting up phlegm..into a gatorade bottle while trying to sleep at night.  in the morning they notice the snot jar had blood in it.

they rushed to the hospital.  the doctor was sympathetic and let them take an O2 setup if; "they promised to bring it back".  he said he had several bottles of O2.  i dont know if he was joking or not, but they ended up road hunting, and he said he shot his buck while wearing the air-mask.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back