Anyone carry Bear Spray in non-grizzly areas?

BuckyHunter13

Jul 6, 2014
I've always packed bear spray but I never end up carrying it in Colorado. I mean, what are the odds I'd need it? Who wants to carry extra weight? I'm going out solo for the first time in 2019 and also camping for part of the trip for the first time. Given these changes and the below encounter from 2018, I'll probably take the extra effort and bring it along. Anyone think one of the smaller cans is enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKN3woYWRgw

Always carry it, never had to use it. My thought has always been rather have it and not need it, you know the rest.
While you?re breaking down a bull solo, a big black bear can ruin your day too.

None of our group has ever carried any.  Going solo though, I probably would.  We typically see a few black bears each year while archery hunting.  Never had an issue though.  Was surprised by a young (2nd year?) bear within 30 yards a couple years back and we were on edge for a few looking out for Momma bear...

All the areas I hunt may have grizzlies so I do always carry it but I would carry it even if they aren't around. Black bears can bite too and I don't notice it on my belt once it's on so why not?

What size can do you carry? The bear this year got to about 10-12 yards before we started talking to him. Didn't know it was a bear until it was 25 yards away and once it got to 12 yards it was clear there were no other trails for it to break off on. I was smiling the whole time though I probably would've felt differently with a big bear. This one was 125-150 max. Even if I was solo I wouldn't have been stressed, but it was a good reminder that those encounters can and do happen and it's probably better to take the added precaution, especially solo. I didn't even have my knife readily available, it was crammed at the bottom of my pack due to some packing/unpacking middle of the trip mayhem reason. Would've made for an interesting bare (bear?) knuckle boxing match. Luckily he was just a confused youngster.

A few years ago, I set up a tree stand over my archery elk carcass since I had a bear tag.

A sow and cubs came in and were about 8yds away the whole time.
When it came time to leave I threw sticks, yelled and they still wouldnt leave.

https://youtu.be/XGF00vD6Qq4

Mama bear knew I was there, but just ambled off a little as I climbed down my tree.

Gotta say tho, I did not turn my back on my way out of the spot.

The best bear repellent seems to be having a bear tag in your pocket

Mine is the 9.2 oz. The only times I have gotten it out were when I have been approaching a kill site while packing meat and then it was a precaution even though I was making some noise on my way in there. I have seen bear poop with pieces of game bags in it.

The other time I have got it out was when we had a close encounter with a young grizzly. He kept coming closer till he was about 25 yards away. He was never aggressive and we had 3 guns and two cans of bear spray between the 3 of us so I wasn't really worried but I felt better having the spray. I will see if I can find a photo of him.

Here he is. 2nd of 3 we saw that day. I have heard people say they wouldn't worry about grizzlies as much in the panhandle of Idaho because there aren't very many but I guess it depends on where you hunt. We seem to see them and wolves more frequently than I would like.

Attachments

• Grizzly.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 4
That?s pretty awesome (given that you were prepared and everyone seemed to know what?s what.) Wolves don?t bother me too much, at least when I can see them. We have plenty where I hunt in Wisconsin. They can get a little spooky when you hear them close but don?t see them (and then have to walk out in the dark). Black bears generally don?t scare me either, but that bluff charge at least got me thinkin. The only thing that would actually scare me is a cat, but no sense worrying about that since you?ll never know it?s there.  :lol: :dk:

Here he is. 2nd of 3 we saw that day. I have heard people say they wouldn't worry about grizzlies as much in the panhandle of Idaho because there aren't very many but I guess it depends on where you hunt.

There may not be very many, but it only takes 1 (or 2 or 3 in the case of sow and cub(s)).

Better to be prepared , I ll be packing spray for sure this fall , had a few grizz hanging where I hunt last year.

I never carry in non-grizzly country.  It was a decision that I made based on weight. I am not saying it's a smart one but I dont carry it. 

Talon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back