Archery equipment getting to expensive?

kikinhorse

Jan 23, 2013
I am worried that we are moving towards what happened in Europe. Only the rich can hunt, because the rest of the people can't afford it. The land leases are costly and the equipment too. Bows are now hitting the $1000 dollar mark, the clothing and gear are way over priced. It's great for the people that are selling it, but it is pushing the people who want to start in archery away. I try to hunt on a budget, and every year it is getting more costly.

kikinhorse said:
I am worried that we are moving towards what happened in Europe. Only the rich can hunt, because the rest of the people can't afford it. The land leases are costly and the equipment too. Bows are now hitting the $1000 dollar mark, the clothing and gear are way over priced. It's great for the people that are selling it, but it is pushing the people who want to start in archery away. I try to hunt on a budget, and every year it is getting more costly.

I understand exactly what you are saying about places to hunt. Luckily for those of us out west there is still plenty of wide open country to get it done without paying for a lease. When it comes to equipment, while it is getting more expensive all the time most of the time you can find the cheaper stuff and still have just as much fun while out hunting. I feel fortunate that I can afford to play the game as I understand what you are saying.

I keep waiting for someone to get smart and come out with a line of camo clothing that is half the price of the other stuff. I'm sure there is still plenty of margin there and it will either force the others to bring their prices down or they will try and buy them out.

I know what you mean my first bow with every thing cost me just under $400 yesterday I bought a hoyt spider $1800 with everything thats more than my rifle I bought three years ago very expensive :(

Things are definitely getting up there in price. For me, I just try to not get caught up in all of the hype. Just try to remind your self that guys hunted and killed animals before camo and all that stuff came out and before all of the technology was around. Before I buy anything, I really think about if I really need it or not.

It is our own fault really. Everybody seems to want the latest and greatest, the hype builds and the prices go up.

I'm as bad about wanting the greatest as the next guy, but I do realize that I either have to wait for some real good sales to get the majority of the stuff I want or I have to save up for as long as it takes.

My hunting buddy and I talk about this all the time.  It's getting ridiculous.  The subject of the thread asks a question.  I believe the answer is, "Yes."

The only way I've found to get around this is to, 1) become intimate with the area you hunt, know the land and the animals, 2) be strong and physically fit so you can get it done without investing in all this new, lightweight gear.

baskarcher said it...don't get caught up in the hype.  i stuck with budget gear and sales when i got in to archery, and it still cost me a fortune (at least to me).  but the funny thing is, i only have a couple sets of camo to wear while i'm out hunting for a week, so i end up putting on jeans or coveralls some days....and those are usually the days i have success.  go figure.  as long as you are 100% dedicated to being the best hunter you can, budget gear can get the job done.

I have 3-kids who are coming of age to hunt if I were to outfit them with everything a hunter "needs" I would go broke. when I started hunting, I wore rubber pullover boots over my tennis shoes $10 from k-mart with blue jeans over cotton long johns with an orange vest over my school coat.
It  taught me how not to dress when I started sweating. But I wanted to hunt, and used what we had.
I have been shooting the same price point Hoyt bow for 10 Years, and have been thinking of upgrading. I have always shot hoyt and like them, fortunately Hoyt has a price point bow almost every year This year its the Charger. I checked out Bowtec and Matthews, and they don't have a bow under $850.

I think it is funny on outdoor TV when you see the hunter decked out in sitka gear while the guide wears cowboy boots, blue jeans and a flannel shirt

Hunting has become expensive, However the quality has went way up as well.
If you purchase quality products one at a time they will last a decade or more of hard core hunting.

Agree quality has gone way up, but I look at the prices every year and wonder where the ceiling is...I currently use an 11 yr old hoyt that has served me well, but I look at new bows and I will be paying more for it than my rifle and scope combined!

Jimbow65 said:
I checked out Bowtec and Matthews, and they don't have a bow under $850.

You could take a look at the Bowtech Assassin RAK MSRP $699, or Heartbreaker RAK MSRP $699(depending on draw length), and Mathews ZXT MSRP$800 . 

Jeremiah Johnson said:
Agree quality has gone way up, but I look at the prices every year and wonder where the ceiling is...I currently use an 11 yr old hoyt that has served me well, but I look at new bows and I will be paying more for it than my rifle and scope combined!

But your Gun and scope will be worth about the same or more in the future.
you almost have to give away a 10 year old bow

There is equipment out there and clothing that's not expensive but with that being said, if ur willing to sacrifice quality then you have that choice to pay less.

BullHunter said:
There is equipment out there and clothing that's not expensive but with that being said, if ur willing to sacrifice quality then you have that choice to pay less.

Yeah you get what you pay for nowadays.  Not only are the materials more expensive, but mostly you are paying for warranty.  More of an investment than a purchase.  When you spend that much, they are going to take care of you

Yeah its getting ridiculous. Even things like broadheads are getting really pricey. I started bow hunting 3 years ago. The broadheads I bought were $25 the same ones now are $32. It is very costly to miss an animal and loose an arrow. Every arrow cost between $12-$35 depending on your set up.

I think as long as there is a desire to hunt, that equipment and gear will not be the deciding factor in success.
An ellk doesnt care that your bow cost $1200 or $500.
A bull doesn't care ir you are wearing Sitka mountain pants or Walmart mossy oak pants.
He is in survival mode everyday and Hunters need to be in predator mode every day.
It is about deceiving his senses (eyes, ears, nose) with the tools we have available.

If i had the resources, I would probably have a lot of the high end stuff that is available, I think the technical hunting gear has changed the mountain hunters arsenal of tools. adding comfort and personal safety to everything we use.
Just don't let it limit your efforts if you dont have it.

I have 6 kids and I am trying to figure out how I am going to be able to afford outfitting all of them in archery equipment. Any suggestions, or anyone wanting to give me any of their old stuff?

Jeff

Nimrod said:
I have 6 kids and I am trying to figure out how I am going to be able to afford outfitting all of them in archery equipment. Any suggestions, or anyone wanting to give me any of their old stuff?

Jeff

Nothing wrong with shopping pawn shops, swap meets, or yard sales to pick up used bows. There is usually a good selection of used bows on archerytalk as well. Obviously, if you can find a bow with a good draw length range that will help to keep from purchasing more as they grow.

Lots of Goodwill shops have merino wool clothing in solids for great prices. Lots of inexpensive camo clothing from K Mart, Wal Mart, Army Surplus stores, etc.
You always hear that cotton kills, but quite frankly if you are going to be coming home every evening there is no reason you can't get by with it. Dry it out and go again tomorrow.

I think the thing to remember is that you don't have to have the latest and greatest, those things come with time, once you have figured out your style, stopped growing, and probably most importantly can afford it  ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back