Archery Spot and Stalk Elk

backcountry_hunter said:
Planopurist said:
Is NOT putting in for a hard unit and/or weapon a disadvantage?

not sure I'm following you here.... the disadvantage for putting it for a tough unit is you're competing with that many more hunters for "x" amount of allocated tags. the disadvantage of easier to draw units is generally speaking quality of bulls and success rates drop. If the unit is easier to draw usually either a) not as many people want to go there for (could be) many reasons like access, quality of animals, number of animals, etc... or b) the state allocates more tags so that equates to more hunters.

the advanatge to units like the Gila is your opportunity to get on great big bulls is high
the advantage to the easier draws is generally you get to go hunt them a little more often

all that to say I've killed bulls on OTC general tags and I've struck out on limited entry tags... and vice versa. No guarantees, it's just playing odds...

Oh, I think I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying you would rather not put in for a "difficult to draw" unit.

Are you putting in for "archery only" hunt dates? I thought that would help my chances.

Ultimately, I really want to have a great experience and learn to hunt a new species. I won't take much to exceed my expectations. Taking an elk at all would be a big deal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planopurist said:
Oh, I think I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying you would rather not put in for a "difficult to draw" unit.

Are you putting in for "archery only" hunt dates? I thought that would help my chances.

Ultimately, I really want to have a great experience and learn to hunt a new species. I won't take much to exceed my expectations. Taking an elk at all would be a big deal for me.

Well I would rather draw a difficult unit ;D but I'm putting in for an easier unit with hopes of hunting it more frequently. I have points and other draws going in other states so NM is always kind of a question mark without the pref. points. I presume you're asking about just New Mexico above but to answer your question, no I'm not putting in for archery only. My 1st choice is an archery season, 2nd is a muzzleloader hunt and 3rd (which I don't think I could draw even but at no additional cost) is another archery.

I'm only putting in for archery seasons as I'd rather hunt whitetail at home when October comes around.

I may reconsider muzzleloader as I believe it starts in September in some states.

Montana has a 6-week general bow season and usually has leftover non-resident tags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Strider said:
Montana has a 6-week general bow season and usually has leftover non-resident tags.

Montana's on my list for the leftover Rage reason, but I thought it was a general season (i.e. Open for any weapon)?

There is a 6-week bow only season beginning after Labor Day.  After that rifle season begins in late October for another 6-weeks.  A general tag allows you to hunt both rifle and bow seasons.

Strider said:
There is a 6-week bow only season beginning after Labor Day.  After that rifle season begins in late October for another 6-weeks.  A general tag allows you to hunt both rifle and bow seasons.

Thanks! I will be hard pressed to leave whitetail hunting come October.

You might also consider Oregon OTC, but Colorado probably offers more elk than Oregon at the moment.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ajs04b said:
You might also consider Oregon OTC, but Colorado probably offers more elk than Oregon at the moment.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thanks. Colorado is on my list, especially because it's close to Texas.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back