Archery Spot and Stalk Elk

Planopurist

Jan 24, 2017
I'm planning to start applying for archery elk tags this year and solo hunting if I eventually draw. I've never hunted out west and don't know much about elk, particularly calling duringthe rut. Am I crazy for trying g to spot and stalk elk? How can I learn to call elk prior to going out west in 2017? I know there's a long way to go, but I have to start somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say you're crazy.  There are a couple different ways to hunt elk besides calling such as spot & stalk and tree stand hunting.  In my opinion though, nothing is better than calling to, interacting with, and bringing in a bull by calling (either through bugles or cow calling).

You've got 7 months to practice elk calls before September is here.  Plenty of time.  Be prepared to try several different makes and models of calls until you find the one(s) that fit you right.  Resources to help available include:
- Strongly recommend the Elk101 University of Elk Hunting course or at minimum the University of Elk Hunting DVD.
- Search Youtube for any and all videos by Rockie and Corey Jacobsen.  There's a 22 minute video by Rockie "How to use a Diaphragm Call" that found particularly useful when I was learning.
- I learned a lot about elk vocalizations from Elknut's DVDs back in the day as well.

Be advised, if you are fortunate enough to get one down, the real work has just begun.  Getting a deer out of the woods is far different than an elk....

Elk nut has a lot of good stuff.  Elk 101 University is excellent and tells you everything you need to know.  Make sure you're in good shape.  Take time to learn a diaphragm call and you're ahead of most.  7 months is more than enough time it's not rocket science.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Man, thanks for the help and votes of confidence.

I've heard a couple of podcasts with Corey Jacobsen. He seems very knowledgeable! 

If I draw, I will definitely look into buying the Elk Hniversity course and one of the electronic map packages.

Are there pack-out services available to call you get one down and need help?  Don't get me wrong, I plan to be prepared for a fight, but admittedly I'll be in uncharted territory for me.

There are packers depending on where you're hunting.  I hunt with horses at times,  and solo other times.  For me that dictates how far I can go and potentially haul an elk out. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

lcgordon711 said:
Why dont you go OTC

Aren't the OTC tags provided during the general season, much later?  I'd like to hunt the September pre-rut and rut.

I don't know that New Mexico has OTC archery Elk tags. Colorado general season falls in September, but you'll have muzzleloader season about half way through. Wyoming has some wilderness area where you'll need a guide. If I were you I'd look at Colorado.

I can't speak for the other states, but you're behind the 8-ball already for Wyoming 2017. 

Without at least one preference point, the only way you would get a tag is if you were lucky enough to get drawn in the random draw.  For a 2016 general tag, you're only looking at 16% odds for the regular draw and 50% for the special. 

By the way, the deadline for entering the Wyoming draw is tomorrow (1/31) at midnight.

To my knowledge no OTC in New Mexico, no pref. points either though.... there are landowner tags you can buy through ranchers but they vary in price.

Like WYO said you're almost SOL with the wyoming draw....

Montana and Colorado both have OTC opportunity for archery general tags during the rut. Idaho and Utah does to for that matter and tags tend to run a little less $$$. Colorado is likely the easiest state to hunt in terms of tag allocations, ease of obtaining and huntable land. It also draws (arguably) the most hunters. I've never noticed a influx of hunters during the muzzleloader season in colorado which overlaps the archery but I think it's going to depend heavily on where you are... I'm usually in the wilderness, in a zone that doesn't draw a ton of ML tags so I don't see the numbers.

I've used a packer on some hunts.... it's a good way to hunt if it's affordable. Once you pick a unit you could do a quick google search of outfitters in the area (generally double as packers) and line something up. I will say though when I've used a packer in a new area I haven't had the opportunity to build a relationship with, I've felt like I was the low man on the totem pole. Most packers double as full-blown outfitters and they're going to take care of those clients first and foremost (they're paying a heckuva lot more). Once they're taken care of the outfitters/packers have came promptly but you are at their mercy of how busy they are.

backcountry_hunter said:
I will say though when I've used a packer in a new area I haven't had the opportunity to build a relationship with, I've felt like I was the low man on the totem pole. Most packers double as full-blown outfitters and they're going to take care of those clients first and foremost (they're paying a heckuva lot more). Once they're taken care of the outfitters/packers have came promptly but you are at their mercy of how busy they are.

+1.  Depending on the weather, how long it takes to get in touch with the packer, how long it will be before they can get to you etc....  You may end up packing it yourself before the meat goes bad.

Wyo67 said:
I can't speak for the other states, but you're behind the 8-ball already for Wyoming 2017. 

Without at least one preference point, the only way you would get a tag is if you were lucky enough to get drawn in the random draw.  For a 2016 general tag, you're only looking at 16% odds for the regular draw and 50% for the special. 

By the way, the deadline for entering the Wyoming draw is tomorrow (1/31) at midnight.

Yep. I'm planning to submit and hope to be lucky in the regular draw or just collect my PP if not drawn.

As an elk novice, I feel like I'll be lucky to arrow one and would likely not have packed in too terribly far anyway. I just want a plan B if I bite off more than I can chew.

My big picture plan is to accumulate points in preference point states (5-10 years) and gain experience in Colorado and New Mexico along the way so that I can make my points count if I get drawn down the line.

You are feeling very lucky. Elk are never where you want them, Elk never drop where you want them to. I have never drawn New Mexico and know guys that have put in longer than me that haven't. One buddy drew the Gila the first and only time he put in. He's short, fat and ugly, but lucky. I wish you the best, just be ready for a great hunt even if you don't harvest a elk.

jstephens61 said:
You are feeling very lucky. Elk are never where you want them, Elk never drop where you want them to. I have never drawn New Mexico and know guys that have put in longer than me that haven't. One buddy drew the Gila the first and only time he put in. He's short, fat and ugly, but lucky. I wish you the best, just be ready for a great hunt even if you don't harvest a elk.

I feel more blessed than lucky. I guess it's hunting and not grocery shopping. I wished I had started this process years ago.

jstephens61 said:
I have never drawn New Mexico and know guys that have put in longer than me that haven't. One buddy drew the Gila the first and only time he put in. He's short, fat and ugly, but lucky.

Been applying for NM for a while and haven't drawn it yet.... I'm not putting in for a particularly hard unit either

backcountry_hunter said:
jstephens61 said:
I have never drawn New Mexico and know guys that have put in longer than me that haven't. One buddy drew the Gila the first and only time he put in. He's short, fat and ugly, but lucky.

Been applying for NM for a while and haven't drawn it yet.... I'm not putting in for a particularly hard unit either

Is NOT putting in for a hard unit and/or weapon a disadvantage?

Planopurist said:
Is NOT putting in for a hard unit and/or weapon a disadvantage?

not sure I'm following you here.... the disadvantage for putting it for a tough unit is you're competing with that many more hunters for "x" amount of allocated tags. the disadvantage of easier to draw units is generally speaking quality of bulls and success rates drop. If the unit is easier to draw usually either a) not as many people want to go there for (could be) many reasons like access, quality of animals, number of animals, etc... or b) the state allocates more tags so that equates to more hunters.

the advanatge to units like the Gila is your opportunity to get on great big bulls is high
the advantage to the easier draws is generally you get to go hunt them a little more often

all that to say I've killed bulls on OTC general tags and I've struck out on limited entry tags... and vice versa. No guarantees, it's just playing odds...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back